Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Water birth VS. Epidural

Category: Special - Home Birth/Natural Birth
Posted by lizzebra34 » Aug. 29, 2013 1:15pm

I have been contemplating doing a water birth for delivery but am really nervous about the amount of pain without the epidural. Can someone let me know what their thoughts or experiences on water birth are.... Would you suggest it for a first delivery? Which do you prefer? Did you have an epidural one round and then a water birth for your second child? I need help from other mommies!

User Image

User Image

lizzebra34

Replies (5)

Reply by brittthomp4 » Aug. 29, 2013 1:47pm

My sister did a water birth for her first birth just a few months ago and she said it was one of the best experiences of her life! I myself, have had 2 births (35 weeks now with my 3rd), both I did pain relief free but I did not get a water birth. The pain is well worth the outcome and the accomplishment you feel. I plan on drug free birth again with this one, our hospital doesn't offer a water bath but I think a shower would work just as well.

User Image

brittthomp4

Reply by lizzebra34 » Aug. 29, 2013 2:41pm

I heard that it is all mind over matter and that the fear of delivery really does contribute to the pain that is felt. My mom had epidurals with both pregnancies but I really am into holistic and natural medicines before any other thing, which is why I am leaning towards the water birth. My hospital offers it which is awesome because just in case anything does happen, they can put me in a bed and resolve the issue (god forbid any issues though). Thanks for the input, girl, and congrats!!

User Image

User Image

lizzebra34

Reply by alysonwunderland » Sep. 24, 2013 8:17pm

Please read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. There is a lot of information about natural birthing including water birth.

alysonwunderland

Reply by monicawoodlm » Dec. 2, 2015 9:13am

Do your research, because every intervention does come with a risk. There are many woman who feel comfortable with the risk and see it as a great benefit. But you should be well informed of every risk that could present itself during your labor. Using water in your labor is one of many many ways to naturally ease the pain through the birthing process.

I am totally against any unnecessary procedure. Water birth is great and I also used hypnobirthing. However, because I had a baby who was posterior, with deflexed neck, and failure to progress, I had a long, painful labour and eventually needed pain medication because I was too exhausted to continue with anything else.

You can read my story here: http://www.lamidwifecollective.com/

monicawoodlm

Reply by lolisa137 » May. 31, 2016 3:57pm

Giving birth under water may appeal to you because, in theory, it's considered to be less stressful for you and your baby. In addition, water births can often lessen the fetal complications that ensue during labor and delivery that take place in a bed. Still, since there are plenty of misconceptions about giving birth underwater. Read more here: http://motherhow.com/water-birth/

lolisa137