Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

BYOB : Bed Rest and Urine Tests

Category: General - General Chatter
Posted by popstarh8er » Dec. 10, 2011 1:44am

Heya Ladies!

As usual we will start with introductions.

My name is Kat. I am 25 and dh is 28. Our daughter Gemma was born on Saturday, December 3rd. She was 8lbs 10ozs, 21 1/2 inches long. I was lucky enough to be able to deliver at a birthing center in a birthing tub without pain medication, as per my birthing plan.

Gemma is fantastic and after a few rough days, we are starting to settle into a nice routine.

About the placenta ... I'm not exactly sure what the thought process was, but my midwife "helped" mine along a little by pulling and also had to pull leftover membrane sac out. I could already tell that I had tore, and didn't really have power left to do much pushing without any real contractions left. So it hurt as she pulled the cord to help it come out. *shrugs* but, you have to imagine that no matter how big the placenta is, it is malleable and will squish to come out easier (unlike baby's head) so its not as bad as passing your baby's body, if it hurts for you at all.

About anxiety, I feel ya. Unfortunately, I suffered with 3 anxiety attacks within the last week which is incredibly uncommon for me. I was getting about 1 1/2 to 2 hours sleep a night. I was laying down to sleep when Gemma was sleeping, but it was impossible for me to fall asleep. So I would start to have a panic attack around 5 or 6 in the evening, stressing that I wouldn't get any sleep. Last night we came up with a better sleeping arrangement that works out for me, dh, and Gemma and I slept (forgive the lame joke) like a baby :)

Days 1 and 2 were great ... 3 and 4 completely rough, and now things are really falling in place. I went from bloody nipples to really not minding breastfeeding, from hardly sleeping to sleeping great, and from incredibly anxious and wired to happy. I highly expected to have bad postpartum depression and I may still have some later, but as for now, I'm quite happy.

I'm passing off the starting and ending of the forum pages to Allison since I have a little less time to dedicate on here now.

Lots of ladies and I will check back in on you frequently!

Kat
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 BabyFruit Ticker
 BabyFetus Ticker

popstarh8er

Replies (279)

Reply by MevensGirl » Dec. 10, 2011 2:55am

Hello again ladies,

My name is Amanda. DH and I have been married since 2007, together since 2001. I'm 30, DH is 37. He has an eleven year old son from his first marriage. We have a 22 month old son and are cooking up our daughter. We are 36 weeks. There have been a few complications. We had placenta previa with bleeding at 28 weeks. The previa had resolved itself at our last scan. We started contracting shortly before the initial bleed. I was on bed rest from 28 weeks until YESTERDAY!!! I am so excited to be off bed rest. I think I was going a little insane! Even though we are still only 36 weeks, I am ready for her to make her appearance. We have been prepared for her to be born since 28 weeks and I feel very blessed that we have made it this far. We had some regular contractions two nights in a row this past week. I have had some very irregular but painful contractions today.

Kat - So glad you and Gemma are doing well!

Aisha - Sorry you are feeling anxious. I hope everything works out for you. Don't worry about not being able to help out. You have the most important job, taking care of Smidgen! An irritable uterus is obnoxious, isn't it!? So uncomfortable. Now that I am off bed rest, I am just nesting through whatever my uterus can throw at me.

MevensGirl

Reply by TangleBirdie » Dec. 10, 2011 10:33am

Hi all

Im 23 years old. 30 weeks pregnant (today). DP is 28. We are having a girl. Im an emergency nurse although not working since 20 weeks due to partner being re-posted to a new location as he is in the army. First pregnancy very very excited. High risk pregnancy as I have Hashimotos thyroiditis and 2nd degree heart block type 1. Want to try for a natural birth but if my heart plays up ill be having a C-section.

Kat - thanx for the reply re the placenta, I honestly feel so much better having read a few of the ladies experiences with the placenta thing its good to know what to expect as before i was really concerned having no idea what to expect! thankyou

Aisha - I hope your anxiety improves. It mustnt be very fun for you! Just take care of yourself and your lil one and im sure things will get better. Family will understand too ill bet.

I dont know about anyone else but Ive never really had true Vertigo but this morning I woke up feeling sooo hung over the room was spinning out of control and i felt like throwing up! i fell back asleep and ive been ok today managed to do a few things but i keep getting really motion sick and dizzy feel like my head has to catch up with my eyes. I took my own BP and it was normal so im a bit confused. I guess ill sleep on it tonight if its not gone tomorrow ill ring the Midwives. Grrrr i hate not knowing whats wrong with myself!!!

TangleBirdie

Reply by yasminesa » Dec. 10, 2011 12:20pm

Hey lovely ladies,

I'm Yasmine (22), married DH(24) in 2008 took almost 2 years to concieve. But here we are 23 weeks pregnant with our little girl Amina - EDD 4/4/12. So excited, been having a few problems but everything will sort out.

Aisha - sorry your anxiety is getting to you but I'm sure it will pass.

Kat - so pleased you andGemma are doing well.

Tangle - glad you asked about the afterbirth it never occured to me lol at least know we know.

AFM - Not much has changed since yesterday except I started taking aspirin - apparently I should have been taking it since 12weeks but my mw didn't know. The dose seems to make my head feel slightly swirly lol thats the bestway to describe it I'm not spaced out just like well swirly.

One gorgeous daughter, Baby #2 (my little surprise) on the way xXx Yasmine

User Image

yasminesa

Reply by allioak » Dec. 10, 2011 1:35pm

Hi girls,

my name is Allison (25) DH (26). We met 4.5 years ago and have been married for 4 years. We started trying in May 2011, and to our surprise were pregnant in 3 cycles. The surprise came from the fact that I have PCOS and we didn't expect we would conceive naturally so quickly! We feel we have a little blessing. Our EDD is 4/24/2012. We should be finding out the gender in 72 hours :)

This pregnancy has been interesting. Didn't get the normal side effects such as morning sickness, but have been plagued by migraines and an awful rash. Luckily I have been seeing an acupuncturist and my migraines are greatly improving! The rash, I'll probably have to wait till after I'm done nursing for it to completely go away. Really enjoying my energy that I have in the 2nd trimester, afraid it will disappear in the 3rd! Otherwise, been feeling the emotional ride of pregnancy! Oh hormones...

I love the ladies in this forum, so glad to have you all!

Aisha, feel better with the anxiety! I don't like feeling anxious at all, and it's amazing how once you start it's hard to stop. Just try to keep perspective and deep breaths :)

Yasmine: I'm glad they have you on aspirin now! Sounds like your supposed to be on it.

Kat: So glad you and Gemma are doing well! It's nice to hear how the days after birth go so that we can all be prepared...

Off to a baby shower today! Excited to see lots of Baby things! My mom and I put an adorable gift basket together of the sheets and blanket, breathable bumper, homemade burp clothes, and a rattle. All giraffe and wild animal themed. It's cute. It's amazing how all that added up in cost so fast though, and this girl chose affordable baby supplies! It'll be interesting when I start my registry. When did you ladies start your registries?

Allison

User Image

allioak

Reply by MontyMoe » Dec. 10, 2011 8:15pm

Hello Girls
I am Maureen, I go by Moe (26) and DH is 26 as well.
We are 36 weeks pregnant. I have had a wonderful pregnancy so far. No complications. We are having a little girl, naming her Mae Allison! Just this last week I have become incredibly uncomfortable for the first time. My knees, back, groin, and feet are killing me!

Meven- I feel the same way, although I have not been on bedrest or anything like that, I am really ready for this girl to come out. I know we are only 36 weeks and could cook a little longer, but as long as their healthy, why not? :) Congrats on being off bedrest! I am sure you are fully enjoying your freedom!

Alli- We registered at about 22 weeks. We found out we were having a girl at 20 weeks, and I did some research before going. It was really fun, but also overwhelming! Sorry about your rash, I havent had a rash, but I have had intense itchiness this whole time. Its really annoying more than anything.

AFM: I am ready for these next 4 weeks to fly by. I want to have her sooner than later. My next appt is the 15th. It will be my first dialation check, I am hoping I am a couple centimeters. I have been having mentrual like cramping as well...anyone else ever have this?

MontyMoe

Reply by pookerdooks » Dec. 10, 2011 9:04pm

Hi Ladies!

My friends call me Aisha (pet name my dh gave me when we started dating). I'm 25 and dh is 41 (yep, I like older men!) and we've been married for 2 and a half years. My dh has a son from a past marriage whom I'm super close with. We are now expecting our first baby due on Jan. 15! The gender is a surprise so we have nicknamed the baby "Smidgen" as opposed to calling it "It."

My pregnancy has been pretty uncomplicated except I have an irritable uterus so I have some actual contractions from time to time. Usually they are random but a lot of work induces them too. I'm not on "bed rest" because I'm not dilated and I have always been able to get the contractions under control, I'm just on "take it easy" instructions.

First of all ladies, I want to thank you all for your support for my anxiety. I've always had really bad anxiety with my periods (I have premenstrual dysphoric disorder) so I'm not too surprised that pregnancy has made it rear its head. But I've identified some of the recent stressors and have been able to get some help with those which is helping me a lot- No full blown panic attacks since Tuesday! Hurray!

Kat- so glad things are falling into place and your anxiety has improved!

Tangle- Uggh sorry about the vertigo! That's dreadful! Have you had a cold or other virus/infection recently?

Yasmine- I hope you get used to the aspirin and feel better soon!

Allison- I actually started my registry as soon as I knew I was pregnant just so I could work on it gradually. I had it done by the time I was 24 weeks but that's because my first baby shower was given to me at 26 weeks. The cost of stuff really does add up! I was lucky though to mostly get everything I needed off my registry (what I didn't get at the shower our families are buying us as Christmas presents).

Monty- I have the menstrual cramping when my uterus is being "irritable." That's one thing that early contractions can feel like. Being that you are 36 weeks I wouldn't worry too much about it!!!

Aisha

User Image

pookerdooks

Reply by allioak » Dec. 10, 2011 9:59pm

Moe: I must say, Your daughter's name is great! Especially since her middle name is my first name :) But the name Mae is so cute!!! Moe and Mae hehe. I'll hope that your baby comes early and perfect for you. I came two weeks early and was already 7 lb 2 oz. Hopefully she'll be ready early!

Aisha: I'm glad to hear you have figured some triggers. That's what I've been trying to do with all the hormonal emotional issues!

AFM: Today was an interesting day. When I was getting my clothes out of the dryer I had the strangest sensation "down there." It was like every muscle was contracting, no pain. Could that be Braxton Hicks? Or is there anything else like that? It lasted about 20-30 seconds and calmed down once I lied down. Didn't happen again. Then at acupuncture this morning I almost passed out. I was already lying down! But I felt light headed and sweaty and couldn't rotate to my right side cause of the needles, so I yelled for the doctor and she came in and took the needles out so I could change position. Once I laid on my side I felt better in minutes. I wonder, even though my back is elevated, if lying like that for 20-30 minutes caused me to feel light headed, or if I hadn't eaten enough in the morning...

Thanks for the responses on the registry. I've done a little research and took notes, and pretty much inherited everything I will inherit, so I guess after Tuesday with the anatomy scan I should really get going on starting the list! I'll be 21 weeks then.

Just got back from my friend's baby shower. She got a lot of great items, all gender neutral. She kept telling me how fun it was to get baby things and she was showing off why she chose her carriage and swing and everything. It was cute. Then we took pictures of our bellies touching. Her and my baby will both be half Brazilian half American so we have decided they will either be best friends or married. It's cute... It was a nice way to be able to spend a day awwwing over baby stuff with other people, instead of just myself!

Hoping you all are having a good weekend, and that everybody feels better. Sounds like a lot of uncomfortable things going on!

Allison

User Image

allioak

Reply by pookerdooks » Dec. 10, 2011 10:05pm

Allison- Sounds like a Braxton-Hicks to me! I started getting them at around 20 weeks and it just felt like my whole belly was getting tight and firm for several seconds but no pain.

I love your plan for your baby and your friend's baby to get married or be friends! I have a white friend who just had a baby with her Pakistani husband so her and I have the same plans for our babies! Her's is a girl so we keep joking mine has to be a boy so they can get married :)

Aisha

User Image

pookerdooks

Reply by sweetpea016 » Dec. 11, 2011 3:40am

Hi ladies!!!

It's been quite a bit since i last posted anything so here goes introduction and the i will carry on

I'm Jo -23 my dh -27....
We have been married for 5 years now!! We have three children
Grace -4 1/2
Luke - 3 1/2
Michael - 1 1/2
Baby Owen is set to come Feb. 26 (If not sooner)

I have some stressful dr. appointments coming up....I didn't exactly pass my glucose test but that's not a biggie... i gotta meet with my office's nutritionists. my thyroid was low so i also have that coming up...I've been busy trying to get my house in order and put up decorations for Christmas.....I have baby's hospital bag packed and mine is almost done. the boys room is pretty much ready... i just have to get the bedding for baby when my mom gets it for me..
I'm tired, sore all over having braxtons.....having to watch what i eat....all in all I've been reading your posts just been a little out of it to respond.....my husbs is slightly worried i might be having a break down so he's been trying to help out more....i know i am getting some real contractions cause they stay even after laying on my side but so far nothing too bad.
Just hoping i can stay out of the hospital this time... for my previous 2 pregnancies i end up in the hospital at 30 weeks for preterm labor followed by multiple visit after that til baby is born... my last one (mike) i was in and out of the hospital a total of 7 times before he was born! Really don't wanna go though that again...

BabyFruit Ticker
User Image

sweetpea016

Reply by MevensGirl » Dec. 11, 2011 2:47pm

Moe - fingers crossed for a couple centimeters!

Jo - Hope you can keep those contractions away!

Aisha - Now that I am off bed rest, I have been having trouble distinguishing the irritable uterus from real contractions. The whole time I am up and about my belly is so hard I cannot breathe and randomly I will get a menstrual like cramping. It is really hard to time contractions. HA HA HA! But while I am resting, I can actually time the contractions. I found a website about irritable uterus... it doesn't appear that there has been much research done yet (http://www.irritable-uterus.com/)

As for me, just trying to not go nuts waiting for real labor to start. The anticipation is killing me! HA HA!

MevensGirl

Reply by pookerdooks » Dec. 11, 2011 3:31pm

Jo- I know this is impossible with three kids, but try to take it easy! Praying for you!

Amanda- its a shame they don't know more about it! My mom had it when she was pregnant with me and the recommendations haven't changed in these 25 years! But at least you are now ready for it! Like you, Im afraid I wont be able to distinguish this from real labor when it starts! I guess if my water breaks I will know! Ha!

AFM- I'm in the waiting room of my hospital birthing center waiting for my tour to start and hoping dh gets here on time! He had a meeting in New York last night and caught an early train this morning but his window to get here on time from the train is narrow! Luckily I know the receptionist who is on duty now so if he is a few minutes late she will get him to us without him having to get stuck at security...

Aisha

User Image

pookerdooks

Reply by NewMommy07 » Dec. 11, 2011 11:43pm

Hi again ladies!

My name is Heather. I've been with my DH for 11 years, 6 of which we've been married for. I'm 26 and he's 28 and we live in Riverton, IL. This is my first pregnancy and a miracle at that since we were told I couldn't get pregnant thanks to PCOS and Adenomyosis. Took 5 years of trying, but it happened naturally and we're super excited!! I'm 27W4D right now. We call the baby 'Nugget' since s/he's been super shy and we haven't been able to find out the gender yet! We have our 4th try on Dec. 21st so we're hoping baby will cooperate then since it's close to Christmas, lol.

Allison - That definitely sounds like some BHC to me! I've had them feel like that a couple times, but usually my stomach just gets really tight and uncomfortable during them. Hope you can avoid more dizzy spells too! That's got to be the worst feeling ever!

Jo - Take it easy girl, as much as possible!!

Kat - so glad to hear you and Gemma are doing good!! Very happy to hear the anxiety is getting better also.

Moe - Love the name you've picked!!! I've had quite a bit of menstrual cramping lately and the doctor doesn't really have an explanation for it other than not enough support for my belly.

Sorry I missed a few but I've lost track of where I was in the posts!!

AFM: Finally getting the dizzy spells kind of under control. Started seeing a chiropractor after Nugget took me out (literally) by kicking me in the spine. Been to the L&D triage for cramping and contractions last weekend, which was not fun. Luckily everything was ok and I just have to take it easy. Still having contractions and cramping off and on but if I don't overdo it I can keep it manageable. Now we're just counting down the days until our next ultrasound and hoping Nugget will not be shy this time around!! We really think it's a girl....

On a side note, my best friend had her son on the 9th!! She was in labor for 26 1/2 hours then ended up having an emergency c-section and baby Gavin's cord was wrapped around his neck twice. Everyone is doing great now though! We've also got it planned that our babies will grow up and get married

Heather
User Image

NewMommy07

Reply by bens10 » Dec. 12, 2011 2:59am

Hi ladies,

I am Jaimie, 33, and DH 32. We have been together for 4.5years, married for 2.5. This is baby #1 for us. It took us a little over a year which felt like a lifetime. But I finally got pg. with clomid and my 3rd IUI ( I have pcos).

I am due April 20th. I just started feeling the little kicks.

I can not wait for my christmas break... I realized this weekend how much more sleep I am needing this days.

So who is next? I love that babies are starting to arrive!

User Image

bens10

Reply by popstarh8er » Dec. 12, 2011 4:28am

Heya ladies!

About the contractions and irritable uterus, to the best of my knowledge, I do not have an irritable uterus however I experienced exactly the same contractions as you ladies. I would constantly get a tightening if I walked a little distance, did a little too much physically, or even just bending over at the end would do me in. I was never able to time them though. The last two days before I went into "labor", I thought I might be having real contractions since they would come when I wasn't doing anything at all, but even using a special "Contraction Counter" app for my ipod (best app ever btw) I still was getting really funky times on them.

It wasn't until my water broke that my contractions became stronger and a little easier to time.

Not much going on with me, dh, and Gemma. Dh goes back to work tomorrow. I am having pain in my right ear like I might be getting another ear infection. After the issues that I had with my LEFT ear which still have not cleared up completely, I'm not leaving this to chance. I still can't hear out of my left side. I was suppose to have one last check up with the ENT about my ruptured eardrum on my left side later this month but I am going to call to see if they can get me in tomorrow or Wednesday instead to do my check up and check my other ear out. Hopefully Baby Gemma will be good to a sitter for a couple hours. She's a great baby so I don't foresee a problem :)

Speaking of ..........

User Image

User Image

Lots of to all of you ladies!

Kat
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 BabyFruit Ticker
 BabyFetus Ticker

popstarh8er

Reply by MontyMoe » Dec. 12, 2011 6:26am

popstar- OMG! She is so beautiful! She is everything I could only hope for. You are amazingly lucky. Thanks for all the advice on contractions, I think one of the number one questions us 1st timers have is "what will a "real" contraction feel like?" I have been having braxton hicks for a while now, so thanks for letting us know what it was like during actual labor.

Bens- I would love to be next. I think I have about 24 days till my due date, but my little girl was measuring three weeks ahead according to her size, so I am hoping sooner than later! Congrats on feeling the kicks, its the best part in my opinion.

NewMom- Thank you, We LOVE the name to. It came to naturally to us. Mae Allison isnt even here yet, and she is the most spoiled girl in the world! Can't wait to see what your having, hope Nugget cooperates!

Pooker- Hope your tour went well, and hope your husband made it! I never took a tour, I was going to, and didnt. I am sort of regretting it now, how was it?

Mevens- Thank you, my fingers are so crossed..... I am so hoping that on thursday, I get some good news! I feel your pain, I am soooo ready for real labor to start. At least you have experienced it before, so you know what its like. I feel completely in the dark.

Sweet- You are a saint. I don't know how you do it!

Alli- I figured you may like the middle name Allison :) Allison is DH's little sister's name. She is only 13, and she is so sweet. We love her so much.

AFM: Still feel really sore, my knees are achy, my hips hurt, and my groin still feels like its being pulled. I am also having braxton hicks, and menstrual like cramps. I would say the cramps are the worst. They are really painful, and I am wondering why they started now!
Trying not to complain though, at least trying to be positive. I am going to meet my girl soon! I am one lucky person!
DH and I went to a friends house last night and this girl who I dont know very well asked me how much longer I had. I said, "not too much longer, about 25 days till my due date". This girl responds, "oh, I thought you were close, you still have a long time to go." That really pissed me off. Maybe thats a sign I am ready for labor, I am a little bit more irritable than usual.
I am also finally getting scared about labor. I guess I had just had been putting it out of my mind. Now, with 24 days to go (if I make it to my due date, which my doctor doesnt think I will) it is such a reality. So I have been doing some research, which I am not sure is the right thing to go. It isnt really easing my mind, it is freaking me out....I figure oh well, whats the point in being scared, Its innevitable, this baby has to come out one what or another :)

MontyMoe

Reply by TangleBirdie » Dec. 12, 2011 8:05am

hi ladies

I just wanted to write a quick update.

This morning whilst walking up the street to the hospital to get a heart monitor put on. I got all mixed up with my feet and tripped over and landed on my belly. I was terrified instantly crying and in hysterics. A nice lady and her daughter came picked me up and walked me into the Emergency dept who tf me to birthing suite. I had CTG monitoring for 4 hours, a blood test to test for placental detatchment. Babys heartbeat was super strong and after about 20min of no kicking post fall, she has been kicking all day. They said baby is fine and happy. Im sore and sorry for myself ive got some internal bruising and sore ribs and knee but they said unless pain gets worse i dont need an ultrasound.

I was soooo upset i cant belive it i yelled out. Ã?MG MY BABY IM PREGNANT HELP ME". i was just shocked i wasnt running or anything. As soon as i heard her heartbeat i cried like a baby thanking my lucky stars she was fine.

Anyways im back off to rest on the lounge, i told my partner im not moving incase i fall again i dont wanna risk it lol. I hope your all well !!!

TangleBirdie

Reply by MevensGirl » Dec. 12, 2011 2:03pm

Kat - she is BEAUTIFUL!! Congratulations again! I got a Contraction Counter app too but I keep forgetting to hit Stop Contraction until I have another one, so it has been pretty inaccurate. I have resorted to just writing down times on a note pad on my phone. HA HA. I've got a Droid, so I am not sure if I could use the same app you had, but what is the name and I will look for it. Hope your ears clear up!

Moe - The funny part is that even though I have experienced labor before, I am still wondering if my contractions are the real thing. HA HA HA HA! I think it is because with my first, I didn't start having some real contractions until after my water broke.

Tangle - That is frightening! I am so glad you are both doing well!

Bens - Congratulations on feeling the kicks! Isn't it the most amazing thing ever. I think Moe, Aisha, and I are all within a week of each other. It could be any of us!

As for me, I am still having the constant tightening when standing and mostly irregular contractions while resting. Last night, I had two oddly regular hours of contractions. I had almost one full hour of contractions that were 13 minutes apart. Then it went back to irregular for a couple hours. Then I had almost an hour and a half of contractions that were 25 minutes apart. I'm hoping this means I am going in the right direction. I will be 37 weeks on Wednesday and that is the date of my next appointment.

MevensGirl

Reply by pookerdooks » Dec. 12, 2011 3:18pm

Heather- glad your dizziness is getting under control!

Jamie- I'm guessing Amanda (Mevens) will be next and then Moe... Then I'm hoping it's my turn after that!

Kat- Thanks for the input on the contractions. The thing is with an irritable uterus is that you don't just get the tightening BH contractions and not just with activity, but even at rest you can get the contractions and they can be "real" contractions. I have been lying down at times and have gotten painful contractions that come every five minutes for an hour or so. They feel so very different from my BH contrations. These contractions, if not controlled, can actually cause dilation, effacement and preterm labor. So like you, I'm supposing when my water breaks that that's how I'll know for sure! Anyway, I hope your ears both feel better soon!

Moe- 24 days isn't far at all!!! I would ignore that person! Especially since 24 days means you are term in just a few days! Thanks for asking about my tour, I will describe it down below.

Tangle- Oh my goodness that must have been soooo scary!!! I'm glad those women helped you! I can't even imagine! I've been so paranoid of falling my entire pregnancy! Poor thing! Glad you and baby are OK!

Amanda- I'm guessing you will go soon!!! Will your doc check to see if you are dilated/effaced on Wednesday?

AFM- The tour of the birthing center was really great (and my dh made it there only 5 minutes into the introduction so he didn't really miss anything)! The birthing center in this hospital is definitely nicer than the one in the hospital I worked at. The suites are all private and each suite has it's own jaccuzzi tub and a shower with a bench to use during labor. All the beds have squatting bars and each room has a birthing/labor ball. All the medical equipment is hidden behind pictures and wooden cabinets to give it a much more "home" feeling when the equipment isn't being used. All the suites also have an extra bed for any visitors and there are lounges with full kitchens for families to use. It's basically very comparable to the non-hospital birthing centers I've seen but with an OR and Level III NICU right around the corner should an emergency arrive. Plus it's a very pro-breastfeeding hospital so they try to get the babies on the mothers to feed as soon as possible after birth and they bring in a lactation consultant right away. I am very pleased with my choice to deliver here. It's definitely a good fit for what I want.

I would recommend to anyone who is giving birth at a place for the first time to take a tour close to your delivery and bring a list of questions to ask that you may not have thought of earlier on in your pregnancy. I had a whole list of questions, mostly regarding what supplies would be provided for me/baby/dh and what I would need to bring myself and I definitely made some changes to my hospital bag after getting those things answered.

OAN- During the tour, I realized how amazingly stressed/nervous my dh is about all this. I figured since he's a doctor and has delivered babies before that he wouldn't be that nervous but he is. He was so on edge the whole time we were there (and he didn't really want to go with me but went because he knew it mattered to me). I asked him if he planned on cutting the baby's cord and he said no because it was too stressful. Now, we've both delivered babies, cut cords, and even circumcised babies in our medical training so this really surprised me. He just said "it's different when it's someone you love." So, I'm actually kinda touched that he's stressed about it. But now I've put my mom in charge of "things" such as making sure my birth plan is followed and whatnot since dh may not be thinking straight lol. My mom and I are super close and she had both of her births all natural and is very relaxed about the whole thing so she has made me very relaxed. As of now I have no fear or nervousness about labour... except worrying about my dh stressing me out!

Aisha

User Image

pookerdooks

Reply by MevensGirl » Dec. 12, 2011 4:19pm

Aisha - That hospital sounds amazing!!! My hospital is not that cool but I am definitely happy with it. That is cute that your DH is stressed.

I sure hope I am next! I really hope they check me. It will be disappointing if I have not dilated any, but it will make me happy if I am past 1 cm and 50%.

MevensGirl

Reply by MontyMoe » Dec. 12, 2011 7:44pm

Pooker- Oh my god. That hospital/birthing center sounds like a dream. They don't have anything like that here in St. Louis, I am delivering at the best hosiptal here, but it still is very hospital like, not home like at all. That sounds like the kind of place where a natural birth would be so much easier due to the enviornment and it not feeling so medical. I personally don't think that 24 days is long at all, I have been waiting since may!

Mevens- I personally think your going to go before me, maybe because you have done this before, or because your already having some contractions, but for some reason my gut is saying your first!

Tangle- Be careful gir! I am naturally clumsy! I can't believe I have not hit the ground yet. I am getting a little scared about the upcoming ice and snow I know we are getting. I always seem to slip on the ice a few times each season!

AFM: Still sore, whats new? I have a feeling I will be that way until I deliever. Also, made the massive mistake of youtubing "natural birth". OMG! I cannot believe that a vagina can stretch that much! It was truly shocking. I mean I KNOW it happens all the time, but I have never seen it up close, and wow, it looks like the most painful thing one could ever experience. I am so nervous.

MontyMoe