Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

How to Anger Your Mother-in-Law Sept. Edition

Category: Due Date Clubs - September
Posted by Eluria88 » Jan. 18, 2014 7:28am

Okay, really I don't go out of my way to annoy my MIL but I get the feeling she tries to annoy me a lot of the time. I envy those that get along with their MILs more than or just as well as they get along with their own mothers. My mother is wonderful. She trusts me to be smart, take care of my family, make decisions and respects my choices, privacy and feelings. My MIL however seems to think she knows better about EVERYTHING.

So... I'm wondering how she is going to react when:

1. She doesn't find out about the pregnancy until 20+ weeks. Because I don't want diet advice and lectures about wanting a cheeseburger and constant nagging about whether I'd taken my prenatal vitamins or not.

2. She finds out we aren't learning the gender. And my mother was given a sealed envelope with gender enclosed.

3. She isn't allowed in the delivery room. We arent allowing anyone but a family friend as photographer and his wife.

4. She becomes aware we're cloth diapering.

These are all things she's going to have a say in. Honestly I want to avoid hearing any of her helpful hints for as long as possible. What's the longest you've hid a pregnancy from your MIL and how do you deal with her unwanted "advice"!!!

Eluria88

Replies (2)

Reply by DakiLynn » Jan. 27, 2014 9:05pm

We haven't told my MIL yet. And I think we are planning on waiting until the second trimester. I think you have the right to do whatever you want with your child. She needs to respect your privacy.
Happy pregnancy!

DakiLynn

Reply by Amarylis13 » Jan. 28, 2014 6:21am

Oh I feel for you. I can't really help but I can tell you about mine.
- Right after a loss, which she took me to the er for, she told me my husband wasn't ready to be a father.
- While pregnant with my daughter she would tell me I was going back to work after the baby and she would be the one taking care of my child all the time.
- She threw a fit when I said I didn't want religious baby gifts
- She kept asking to take my breastfed newborn for the afternoon and would say that a bottle of formula wouldn't hurt her.
-Wouldn't let me take public transit while I lived with her for a couple of week but insisted to drive me everywhere while chain smoking in the car with me knowing cig smoke made me horribly ill.

I could go on...we still haven't told her we are expecting again and I wish we never had to.

User Image

Amarylis13