Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

18 and just found out im pregnant, nervous about seeing a dr

Category: General - Newly Pregnant
Posted by firsttimemommy1120 » Feb. 2, 2014 7:51pm

I'm 18 years old and just found out I'm pregnant. I'm very scared of the first dr appointment because I've never had a pap smear before and I've also never been tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia. What if I did have one of those std's, would I just be given antibiotics and it be fine? I don't think I do because i've been with the same person for 3 years (I was with one person w/o protection before that) and neither of us have had symptoms. Anyone have either of those while pregnant? How bad is a pap smear? What if I have a male doctor? I would be so embarrassed if my first pap smear was done by a man. I want to at least know what its like with a woman first. Anyone have any advice?

btw, im 4 weeks and 3 days.

Replies (1)

Reply by Archaedis » Feb. 3, 2014 9:39pm

Congratulations! What an exciting time! You should make an appointment as soon as possible. Ask for a female doctor if that makes you more comfortable. Pap smears are not that big of a deal. I've never had any pain. The doctors are usually very gentle and explain what they are doing before they do it. The trick I use is to take deep slow breathes as I relax all of my muscles as much as possible. I close my eyes or look at the pictures on the ceiling if they have them. Try not to think to much about it, concentrate on something else (your happy place) if you can. Remember you are taking care of your health as well as your new baby's! I wouldn't worry too much about STD's if you've been in a monogamous relationship for that long. You would have had symptoms by now, I would think. If something comes up, you will cross that bridge as it comes. No use worrying about things that are not likely. Make sure you are taking prenatal vitamins right away and eating healthy and not drinking, smoking, drugs etc. Best wishes for a happy healthy pregnancy!

Archaedis