Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Pregnancy and Medication

Category: General - Newly Pregnant
Posted by CarvolthBaby3 » Mar. 2, 2014 7:47pm

Hi all

I am currently taking 50mg Prozac a day and am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same. I have tried hard to not be on this medication but unfortunately I am at my best and healthiest (emotionally and physically) when I'm on it. I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and take 2 Gastrostop tablets a day. Has anyone taken either of these medications throughout pregnancy and if so what were the results? Thankyou <3 Sarah

CarvolthBaby3

Replies (4)

Reply by JamieRawxx » Dec. 23, 2014 1:30am

I would suggest most likely to talk with a doctor about it. And see if the pros outweigh the cons. I have stopped taking any and all medication since i found out. (aside from metformin, colace and pre-natal Vtmn.)

Sending Light & Love

User Image

JamieRawxx

Reply by JaxyBoBaxy » Dec. 23, 2014 3:29am

There have been numerous medical trials with Prozac that showed no adverse effects in pregnancy. Your dosage is also not very high, so I wouldn't be too worried about it at this point, especially if your health benefits are solid. Extreme stress is already known to cause low birth weight and pre-term delivery, so if your Prozac keeps you steady, then I'd say the well-known risks (that are pretty low) are likely worth it.

Gastrostep, I have no idea about. Your doctor would definitely know if that could cause any adverse effects.

I had this conversation with my psychiatrist a couple of years ago when I was first considering having a baby, but I wasn't on Prozac and was told that was really the safest bet for pregnancy. Nothing I was taking at the time was considered ideal for pregnancy. Given what I read about and was told, I think your situation is actually pretty solid.

JaxyBoBaxy

Reply by mriphenburg » Dec. 23, 2014 8:47pm

I have been prescribed 40mg of prozac daily. My OB advised me to continue taking it during pregnancy as the benefit to me outweighed the risk to baby... And... I haven't been taking it because I thought I could get by without it and didn't want to risk it... I've been one miserable B-Word. I cry about everything and am short with people and have no patience. My hubby is actually bringing me my medicine as we speak! Best advice I can give you is take it...

mriphenburg

Reply by mriphenburg » Dec. 23, 2014 8:47pm

I have been prescribed 40mg of prozac daily. My OB advised me to continue taking it during pregnancy as the benefit to me outweighed the risk to baby... And... I haven't been taking it because I thought I could get by without it and didn't want to risk it... I've been one miserable B-Word. I cry about everything and am short with people and have no patience. My hubby is actually bringing me my medicine as we speak! Best advice I can give you is take it...

mriphenburg