Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Insomnia!!!

Category: General - Newly Pregnant
Posted by joannalewis » Apr. 9, 2012 11:32am

Help!

I am 4 weeks pregnant and since the weekend I have been awake most of the night! I manage to get to sleep fine but just wake up around 1am then can't get back to sleep!

I had this towards the end of my last pregnancy but I cannot believe it has kicked in so soon 2nd time round.

Has anyone any tips for this?

xxx

joannalewis

Replies (8)

Reply by amblew » Apr. 11, 2012 7:31pm

I have insomnia HORRIBLY. I am 5 weeks pregnant and the insomnia started about 2 weeks ago! I manage to sleep until about 330am but then I'm up till about 5am and then able to finally go back to sleep until about 7am. I crash around 4pm everyday though!

amblew

Reply by joannalewis » Apr. 11, 2012 7:33pm

Its horribe, I hope it passes!

Last few nights I've been making myself a hot chocolate before bed and managed to stay sleeping till 5am which is a massive improvement! Its worth a try??

Hope you get some sleep tonight.

xx

joannalewis

Reply by ameliasmom0723 » Apr. 12, 2012 11:59am

I don't have any tips but I am going through the same thing. 5:15 is the magic time to get up the last 2 days. I think it also has something to do with my bladder :)

From what I keep reading from others in early pregnancy this is pretty common and will go away into the 2nd trimester. I did not have this with my DD but that was almost 9 years ago so I can't quite remember if I had trouble sleeping. She was an oops so I probably had some sleepness night over that! LOL!

Hopefully you can get some rest during the day? I wish I had a rock to hide under here at work by 2 pm because I can hardly keep my eyes open.

ameliasmom0723

Reply by joannalewis » Apr. 14, 2012 7:18am

Yeh I seem to be managing to sleep (interupted) till 5am then thats me wide awake. I can cope with that, its the wakening at 1am then 2am etc I can't handle.

Fingers crossed it goes away in 2nd trimester then!

Well unfortunately I work full time so no chance of a sleep during the day!! The last few days at work I've found the afternoons really tiring and feel completley wiped out by 3pm!!!

Oh the joys of being pregnant!

Hope you find some energy soon

xx

joannalewis

Reply by ameliasmom0723 » Apr. 14, 2012 10:48am

I hope you do too! I was able to sleep until 6 today but I think it was because I went to bed at 11 last night!

At least it is the weekend and I can nap today.

ameliasmom0723

Reply by klara2222 » Apr. 30, 2012 8:44pm

I am having the exact same problem, wide awake at 330 or earlier every morning, like it or not. My doc said that if the lack of sleep gets really bad or if I'm feeling super drained to take a benadryl through the night (when I'm up for one of my 2 or 3 toilet trips!) as they tend to make you very, very drowsy and have been found to be safe for pregnant women. He said that it wasn't a long-term solution and shouldn't be done all the time, but could be used once in a while to make sure that you're not getting sleep deprived.

Good luck!!

klara2222

Reply by 20020588 » May. 27, 2012 1:00pm

I feel your pain with my last pregnancy i had the same between 4-6 weeks pregnant terrrible insomnia. This pregnancy seems to be doing the same i had 3 nights where i couldnt sleep at all seems to have settled down but i still wake at about 3am as need the toilet then toss and turn till i get up. Think it all comes with the teritory :S

User Image

Reply by Hulahut547 » Aug. 3, 2016 6:47am

I have been through insomnia myself, so I know how horrible it can be. There are a few things I've found that help like prenatal yoga, meditation, a list of essential oils which I found in a website of Pinewood at Toronto( http://www.pinewoodhealth.ca/blog/general-category/essential-oils-help-with-insomnia-says-toronto-naturopath/ ) etc.

Hulahut547