Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

March 2015 Mamas? - Page 18

Replies (366)

Reply by tjwjtw21 » Mar. 11, 2015 3:37am

TX- bedrest because twin A is growth restricted and has decreased blood flow from the placenta. He is a pound less than baby B and only weighing in at about 4lb10oz at this point. She was 5lb11oz. They will induce at 37 wks, no later. Possibly sooner if my studies worsen. I get to visit high risk docs 2 times a week now, plus my weekly OB visit. I'm happy that this is only 2 weeks worth of all this.

tjwjtw21

Reply by CaliTexBaby » Mar. 11, 2015 10:24pm

TXkadams - My Little One thankfully has no problems latching so I don't have to work so hard. However he is eating more than I can supply and I can't take natural enhancers because of the other meds I'm on. So I feed him when/what I can, finish his meal off with formula, or I pump and mix with formula to feed him. Sometimes he falls asleep after the first minute of breast feeding which doesn't make sense to me. I feel more comfortable pumping then feeding so I know exactly how much food he's getting.

Here's a question: Am I the only one who does not feel this bond when breastfeeding?

CaliTexBaby

Reply by TXkadams » Mar. 11, 2015 10:46pm

CaliTex, The bond isn't instant for everyone, don't worry, it will come. It is harder for Mama's that are worried about breastfeeding I think. (Breast feeding is such a mental game.) Try to distract yourself while feeding, watch a netflix video or listen to some good music.

I had low supply last time (insufficient glandular tissue I think). I did a lot of feeding and then pumping to try and up supply. I tried all of the natural supplements, but ended up needing the prescription to increase supply at all. We still needed to supplement though. I was pretty broken hearted about it then, but I'm okay with that prospect this time. Any milk I can give is better than none (in my opinion). I also got a scale this time to be able to weigh the baby before and after so that I can tell how much milk I transferred during breast feeding sessions. It isn't at all necessary, but because I had such an issue last time I just want to try everything to put my mind at easy this time. (Again, anything you can do to worry less or have more confidence will help with supply, BFing is very mental.)

By the way, if any of you have breast feeding questions, I'd love to try and help. I've become quite the expert (unfortunately).

AFM: 8 days and counting!! Starting to get really excited.

TXkadams

Reply by tjwjtw21 » Mar. 12, 2015 1:37am

Cali and TX- I too deal with low milk supply related to having had gastric bypass surgery in the past. When I had my first 15 yrs ago I was young. My mom didn't breastfeed and it wasn't encouraged as strongly even then, so he was all formula fed. My second is 5 and being a NICU nurse by then, I knew it was best for him to have my milk. It was quite an effort as I didn't get a lactation consult and it just went downhill from there. I too needed meds for supply. I had to give formula also. I felt more comfortable pumping and bottle feeding too, although it was nice if we were out to have a boob if needed. When I went back to work pumping became the norm. He wasn't as interested to latch at that point, so I kept pumping until he was 5 months old. Because of supply, he always received half and half mixed. I felt like TX- something was better than nothing and I wanted it to be consistent for him too. Once I quit pumping is when I realized I missed that bond I had with nursing him. I don't recall ever feeling during that time- only when it was gone.

Bottom line for me (as a nurse and a mom)- I think all we can do it try and for some it's easier than for others. TX is right in saying it's mental/mind thing. We all have a different level of feeling towards it and the commitment it takes to keep it going. I'm very jealous of women who make tons of milk and it comes so easy, it creates such a vision for women when the truth is it doesn't come like that for so many. It's very hard and lots of effort. Just like anything else in life- we try!! That's the best you and any of us can do!

Best wishes for your continued success- and it is success even if he gets only some, be it from breast or bottle.

tjwjtw21

Reply by knicole27 » Mar. 12, 2015 8:05pm

Hey hey ladies!! congrats to all the new mommas with babies!

AFM 38 weeks and I am still pregnant and we are still healthy!!! last sunday at 37 weeks 4 days or 3 days maybe it was... he dropped . I felt a ton of pressure in the front of my uterus and had to like evacuate all my bowels and bladder at once for two days!! like it was crazy. I thought for sure it maybe coming time soon but who knows. I have never actually been in natural labor ! my next appt is monday the 16th. Will be 39 weeks next thursday!

oh i did wake up this morning to menstrual like cramping ... at 4 am BUT.. it only lasted about an hour. lol

hanging in there!! hope your well ladies and babies!

knicole27

Reply by Ladysg » Mar. 13, 2015 1:15am

Hey ladies! So good to hear from you guys!!!!

Knicole27 - it won't be long til you holding ur bundle pf joy!!!

Ohh...the story of milk supply. This time I went into this journey scared that I too won't be making enough milk for the baby and I would have to supplement with formula sooner. My midwife did calm that lil monster and reminded me that this is an entirely new experience with a new team behind me. So thus far...all is good. Baby Bonolo latched on like a pro!!! I had that colostrum for the past 3 days and then Thursday morning my milk came in. Boobs hurt like hell!!!!! But all so worth it!

AFM - me and baby got discharged today, so Yayyyyyy! !!! First night at home :)
It's a bit difficult with recovering from the c-section and all (labour and delivery story is coming soon). But have the lovely help of my mom my lil sister! And baby is not fussy at all!!!!

Ladysg

Reply by DanielleK2014 » Mar. 13, 2015 2:52pm

Hi Ladies, again Congrats to all the new moms!!! So happy for you all!!

Ladysg - Glad to hear everything is going well! Look forward to seeing some pics on here.

AFM - I am 39w 1d and had a scare on tuesday and ended up in L&D for a couple hours on a monitor. I had been contracting since 530 in the morning and worked my whole shift at work and then went after. When I got there the contractions were a little more than minutes apart and was having little ones in between. They checked me and I'm fully effaced but still no dilation. So I was sent home. Since then still been have false labor but just very irregular. My fiancee and I have been having more sex to try and get things going. I have already lost my mucus plug since last friday. I am getting more and more uncomfortable and i'm so sore. I have another check up today and i'm going to see if they can do a membrane sweep today. I am just really ready to have my little girl and get this next step of this journey on it's way.

Well hope everyone else is still hanging in there and hopefully soon we will all have our little bundles of joy in our arms!!!

DanielleK2014

Reply by dsdaye » Mar. 13, 2015 6:31pm

Gave birth to my little one on Monday. It was a very smooth labour and delivery. Didn't need any pain meds at all. Nothing like my first!
William was 8lbs 7oz and 22" long. He is doing great as am I. Just very tired. Hard having a newborn and a toddler in the same house.
Hope everyone is doing great!

dsdaye

Reply by CaliTexBaby » Mar. 13, 2015 10:16pm

Grats on the babies! I couldn't imagine having 2 young kiddos wanting my attention...One and my parents are already too much (and the little one is a cinch).

On the topic still of BFing and bonding...TX how are you to bond if you are distracting yourself? I'm not stressed out, I pretty much went into this thing expecting not to make enough (radiation treatment killed one of my boobs, so I'm riding with one wheel on this bicycle). He latches on, stays for 20-60 minutes, I watch him do this or lean back almost falling asleep, but I don't think he's sucking it dry any of the times. Plus since I don't make enough he's always gonna be hungry afterwards. I guess I don't get what this bond is supposed to feel like. I know when he's crying sometimes I feel like crying because I empathize (and not because I'm frustrated ;> ) with him. Maybe I just over think everything. oh well, back to finishing my meal 2 hours later...

CaliTexBaby

Reply by knicole27 » Mar. 14, 2015 11:50am

is it just you and me left danielle? besides txkadams who has her scheduled c section??!?

I think I am starting to loose some of my mucus plug today. Lots of braxton hicks. but no contractions . 38+3 today.

Did you new mommas post pics and birth stories!? I love seeing and reading those!! :)

knicole27

Reply by TXkadams » Mar. 15, 2015 12:59am

I'm going for a VBAC, and just waiting for baby to tell me when it's time. I'm 39+2 today. At 39+0 my doc said I was 50% effaced, but that she wouldn't be surprised if I didn't start dilating until I went into labor. My mom said she lost her mucus plug within 24 hours of labor all three times, so I'm hoping that will be my first sign. Nothing so far, baby is comfy. Baby is also still sunny side up, so I'm doing lots of hands and knees to try and get he/she to turn.

CaliTex, what I meant by distraction was to try and get your milk supply up. If you are stressed and watching the baby fuss at the breast then that can hurt your milk supply. On the other hand if the baby is latched and feeding well then you can get an oxytocin release with BF that would help with bonding at the breast. It sounds like the baby is latched well and enjoying sucking though, so this may not be an issue for you two. You might try breast compressions while the baby is feeding to try and more completely empty the breast if you think the baby isn't getting it all out. Bonding will come, the exhaustion sometimes takes a little getting over before you can settle emotionally. You are doing awesome mama!! Enjoy the hour long BF snuggles, that stage doesn't last long.

Congratz dsdaye!! Your labor sounds perfect!! I hope the remaining of us have such a wonderful experience.

TXkadams

Reply by DanielleK2014 » Mar. 16, 2015 12:58pm

Hey ladies, Congrats again to all new moms out there!!!

knicole27 - Yeah I think it's just us 3 left. I am 39w 4d today and getting so uncomfortable. I have been having contractions since the 10 but nothing regular. I'm only 1cm dilated. Hopefully soon we will be holding our little bundles of joy very soon!!!

AFM - I had my check up on Friday. They had me blood work and a 24 hour urine collection over the weekend, and was in L&D yesterday. They were monitoring baby and I for almost 2 hours because they thought I had the start of preeclampsia. Thank god all my test came back normal and baby is doing very well. I'm still working, but finding it very hard to get up in the morning and get ready now. I was offered to take my vacation before hand so I could rest up before baby arrives. I'm really thinking of doing so. I also just got a new job that has a start date of the 26th, but all I have to do is come in that day for about a half hour and then they are given me 6 weeks maternity leave. So I'm hoping little Olivia makes her appearance very soon. Well you all have a great day and talk again soon!!!

DanielleK2014

Reply by TXkadams » Mar. 18, 2015 8:01pm

I think labor has started. I had contractions all last night and they have been getting more intense throughout the morning. (About 45s each, with 2-15 min between, but they aren't really strong yet.) I had an appointment this morning with the midwife and she said I was at 1.5cm and 70% effaced with a very soft cervix. Baby was on my right side and I should lay on my left to try and get him/her to turn anterior. Been talking to my doula and she encouraged me to do whatever my body says to do. So right now that's lunch and a nap.

Due date is tomorrow, so baby will likely be right on time.

Anyone else making progress?

TXkadams

Reply by knicole27 » Mar. 18, 2015 8:15pm

Ohhhh exciting txkadams! Keep us posted and good luck !

Afm - nothin yet . 39 weeks ! But I'm only like a finger tip dilated lol . After my cervical check I was pretty crampy and contractiony but they stopped when in went to bed! I'll keep ya posted ! :P

knicole27

Reply by Ladysg » Mar. 21, 2015 6:18am

Hey ladies!!!!!
I have you guys in my prayers that are still waiting for their bundles! Please do keep us posted!

Ladysg

Reply by tjwjtw21 » Mar. 21, 2015 2:11pm

Thinking of you Txkadams!! Waiting for an update and sending positive vibes that all is well!!

AFM- I'm officially scheduled for induction for next Wednesday 3/25/15!! I am beyond excited and ready to meet these babies!! Hoping to avoid pitocin through the process and hoping both babies play nice and allow a vaginal delivery. At this time they are both head down and vertex, but OB has warned that once baby A is out sometimes baby B will flip with all the extra room that becomes available. Thoughts and prayers are appreciated!!!

tjwjtw21

Reply by knicole27 » Mar. 21, 2015 4:09pm

39+2 weeks today. I started clearing out last night . Wow. I can't leave the bathroom! I am getting irregular menstrual like cramping that gives me diarrhea off and on since last night and really bad this morning at around 4 am to 7 am. Looks like things are progressing!

knicole27

Reply by TXkadams » Mar. 22, 2015 8:33pm

It's a boy! Kalvin Dean arrived on his due date at 11:29am. I thought the pushing part was going to kill me, but I managed a successful natural VBAC. and he was perfect the whole time, a text book birth.

I started contractions about 36 hours before he was born, but the first 24 hours-ish weren't strong contractions even though they were sometimes close together. My doula had me try different positions and hip opening stretches to get the baby more engaged. At 1:30am on my due date my contractions started getting stronger. At 2:30am my water broke (what they call a high leak) with a contraction and they got much stronger after that. I called my doula and we labored in my bedroom the rest of the night. We went to the hospital at 8:30am, got there at 9am (7-8cm dialated and 70% effaced and -1 station). My body started pushing of its own accord at 10am. They said I wasn't fully dialated yet and not to push, but there was no stopping my uterus from pushing that baby out. A contraction broke my water bag at the bottom with a huge gush at 10:30am. They told me to start pushing some time after that, but it took me a while to get a rhythm down that I didn't feel was going to kill me. The doula and nurses wanted me to hold my legs under my knees, but that hurt so much more than bracing my feet on the bar and bracing my hands on my knees. Once I got people to shut up and let me push the way that felt right to me the baby came out in about 5-6 pushes. It did hurt like hell. And there was a LOT of screaming. And I did say several times that I couldn't do it and I needed the freaking epidural. It was of course much too late for that.

I was amazed that my body really did most of the pushing without me having to consciously think about it. The uterus is an amazing thing. Pushing felt most natural (and hurt least) when I'd just wait for a wave of natural uterus pushes and then help those along with conscious pushes.

The whole labor process already seems more romantic (3 days later) than it seemed that day. My little boy was put in my chest right away and we spent 2 hours cuddling and getting to know each other before he took a bath or ever left my chest. Breast feeding is going pretty well so far (much better than last time). He's jandice and Cumes positive, and still loosing a little bit of weight, but is nursing better than my first and my milk came in the morning of the second day after birth. He's a pretty calm baby compared to my first, which is nice. His big brother is very excited, but thinks the baby should get down on the floor and crawl and play with him.

Wishing the rest of you still due Mamas a wonderful labor! Do what feels right to you, it may not be what the docs/nurses say is the right way to push.

I'll post some pictures when I can get to a computer.

TXkadams

Reply by tjwjtw21 » Mar. 22, 2015 10:17pm

Congrats txkadams!! Such a great story to have and cherish and it sounds like it went exactly how you wanted. Amazing woman you are to go all natural and make it through!! I'm a total wimp and wouldn't make it for sure!! Glad you and baby are doing well and sending many thoughts you way for continued wellness!!

tjwjtw21

Reply by knicole27 » Mar. 23, 2015 10:32pm

Arlo James was born this evening ! 7 lbs 1 oz 19 and 1/2 inches long . I had an all natural birth ! No epidural , no pain meds . I used a birthing tub for pain relief . First contractions started at around 7 am , lost my plug about an hour later with contractions 7-8 mins apart . 11 hours he was born at 5:58 pm
Local time , arrived at the hospital at 3pm and was at 5 cm
And progressed to 9 cm within 2 hours . We are doing good and I am still in shock that I did that !!! And yes Txkadams I was doing really good up until the pushing part after my water broke around 9 cms! It felt like my hips were being torn apart! And I all I was thinking is "I don't wanna do this ! " buuuut ... Yeah no going back at that point lol ! It took about 30-45 mins of pushing . And yes ... I did poop myself in the tub :/ lol and I think honestly . That was hindering my pushing abilities . So I got out and pushed him out laying on my side on the bed in three pushes :) over the moon ! Will post pics and full birth story later :)

knicole27