Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

are prenatals are really necesarly?

Category: General - Newly Pregnant
Posted by PatsyWatsy12341 » Sep. 3, 2014 8:14pm

Im 25 weeks pregnant if I took vitamins for 1 month was alot..The problem with this they constipate me a lot..so I stop using them.The baby is perfectly fine..And I ask my mom and she told me that when she was pregnant of me, she dint took vitamins at all..Im healthy as well..But is a bad thing not doing it..it is has consecuences??

PatsyWatsy12341

Replies (6)

Reply by lvlolo24 » Sep. 3, 2014 10:42pm

Here are the benefits of taking a prenatal vitamin

Folic acid helps your baby's brain and spinal cord develop correctly. This nutrient reduces the risk of serious birth defects called spina bifida and anencephaly.

Calcium protects your bones as your baby grows. Your baby takes this vital mineral from your bones and teeth. You could lose bone density if you don't take extra calcium as your baby develops.

Iron helps your blood deliver oxygen to your baby. It may also prevent your baby from being born early or too small.

I dont know about you but for me I want to give my baby the best. As far as the constipation eat more fruits and vegetables because their fiber helps keep you regular. Ive been taking a prenatal since before I got pregnant and because I regularly eat a lot of fruits and veggies I have yet to be constipated. GL

lvlolo24

Reply by PawMomma » Sep. 5, 2014 8:45pm

Our parents may have also not worn seat belts and "turned out fine", but that doesn't make it ok to do. As the previous poster mentioned, pre-natal vitamins are important and you should really discuss this with your doctor. There are stool softeners you can safely take during pregnancy if constipation is a real issue, also be sure to drink lots of water.

PawMomma

Reply by Mummy2009 » Sep. 6, 2014 5:01pm

I didn't take prenatal vitamins with my son but I am with this one.

My son was healthy in every way but I was so ill with hyperemesis and I couldn't eat anything or hold down any form of supplements/medicine.

It was awful

Mummy2009

Reply by knicole27 » Sep. 8, 2014 8:50am

I wasn't able to take prenatal's very often either also due to hypermesis. It was awful. I tried the whole flinstone vitamin route for a few months in the second trimester. My son is healthy and no birth defects BUT... not taking prenatals was not by choice for me. I did have a lot of tooth problems at the end of the second trimester because he was robbing me of the extra calcium and that was pretty awful. Having tooth aches during pregnancy that can lead to infection which can be serious to baby sucks! I am for sure taking prenatals this time because I was blessed with super mild morning sickness. Praise the Lord.

If your going to go the non prenatal route.. you need to look into juicing or smoothies and make sure you pack them full of fruits and veggies and proteins. There is a way to pack all the nutrients of a prenatal into a drink or smoothing BUT.. you will need to drink them every day and need to research the amount of each food you blend in. This will also add fiber to your diet helping with constipation.

Another way to help with constipation with prenatals. Drink lots of water and try maybe taking half in the morning and the second half at night. I had to do this at first due to upset stomach that the prenatal caused.

knicole27

Reply by squishmich » Sep. 29, 2014 12:11am

I would strongly agree with lvlolo24, I want the very best for my baby. Although I make an attempt to eat healthy, I know I'm not getting all the nutrients and minerals I need and a prenatal vitamin will certainly help.

squishmich

Reply by PatsyWatsy12341 » Sep. 29, 2014 4:24am

Thanks girls!!!!!!!

PatsyWatsy12341