Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Expecting and Planning a Homebirth!

Category: Special - Home Birth/Natural Birth
Posted by looney » Aug. 8, 2012 2:06am

I'd like to hear from and start a group of women planning homebirths (or natural hospital births...) on here :) There are so many options and plans to be made, I'd love to hear from other moms that are figuring it all out too! <3

looney

Replies (15)

Reply by looney » Aug. 8, 2012 2:09am

Lately I've been thinking about:

Birth Pool? So many options, Aqua Doula? Kiddie Pool? Specialized Birth Pool, or a mini spa-in-a-box like the TheraSpa for $400?! CHOICES!

Who am I inviting to this event? I really want my SIL to be there, but I don't want my MIL with me during the birth :( I know that will be bad jojo for our relationship is I don't include her though, so I ought not let my SIL be by my side then, unfortunately.

I'd like to be fully naked... another reason I only want SIL, Brian, midwife and my mom there. I'm not sure im on Naked terms yet with MIL.

So what is everyone else doing/planning for their homebirth or natural hospital birth?

looney

Reply by ameliasmom0723 » Aug. 10, 2012 12:55pm

I am planning a natural birth this time around because of my VBAC. The OB's do not recommend any induction drugs because of the risk of rupture and I am afraid to get any pain meds or epidural because it may slow labor.

I am going to have the baby in the hospital because I didn't have a support system comfortable enough with a homebirth. I am going to try to labor as much as possible at home before going to the hospital as I spent over 30 hours laboring in the hospital with DD and then ended up with a c-section. They should have sent me home when I first came in because I was only just 2 cm. The exhaustion from constantly hooked up to ivs and monitors probably did not help my failure to progress which was the reason for the C.

Dh and I are going to take a VBAC class for which I hope they focus on breathing and visualization. I intend to use the tub for transition time of labor as the water really soothes you and takes a lot of pressure off your body. I am want to use the birthing ball and try to move around as much as possible during labor. I am fortunate in that I labored the first time around so I know what I am getting into. I hope we get to experience the joy of a vaginal birth. I am all about being an active participant in this process.

As for who will be there. DH is my main support and I am planning on hiring a doula since I have an OB. My Mother and Aunt will be there but DH and my Aunt have strict instructions to remove my Mother is she starts fretting about the contractions, how much pain I'm in, or watching the fetal monitor like a hawk. She will just make me nervous. She says she will not be like but let's be honest with ourselves Mothers can't help themselves but worry! LOL You should only have there who you would be comfortable with because the more comfortable the Momma, the easier the labor will be.

Me (Sarah) : 35 & DH: 35 & DD: 8 & DS: Born 12/10/12

User Image

ameliasmom0723

Reply by looney » Aug. 13, 2012 5:29pm

That is great the hospital is letting you have a VBAC, and they even have a birth pool?!

The options are limited here in Northern California. You either have a homebirth, or a birthcenter birth if you want a birth pool, there are no hospitals, (that I have found) that have birth pools, or allow them at all!

I think being comfortable is very important during labor. I'm hoping having family around and my favorite chair and everything about my homewill make me very relaxed.

My natural hospital birth with my first son was not all that it could have been, and I was very unhappy they cut his cord right after he was born. He suffered from anemia for almost 18 months, and it could have been prevented with his cord blood.

looney

Reply by ameliasmom0723 » Aug. 13, 2012 7:21pm

You can't birth in the tub, which is unfortunate, but you can labor in it. They only have one tub so you have to take turns.

That is too bad there isn't options for you. I am nervous about trying natural labor in the hospital but they did let me labor and push with my daughter without forcing or coercing me into anything. I really hope to labor mostly at home and go to the hospital at the last minute.

I was in early labor with DD and should have went home and labored for another day before going back. I was a scared 1st timer though so I didn't think to ask to go home.

Guess I just have to rely on my past experience and get as much support as possible to labor naturally this time.

ameliasmom0723

Reply by urwithablish » Nov. 26, 2012 9:50pm

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.hello...

urwithablish

Reply by emersonkelly » Dec. 18, 2012 7:23am

Hello,

I'm planning to have natural birth. So, I have talked about this with my midwife, she started suggesting me the care I should take and the exercises I should do. I'm following her advice and going well.

emersonkelly

Reply by abi_xx » Dec. 19, 2012 12:56pm

Hi..
I had a homebirth with my second baby and im hoping to do the same again,it was amazing,i felt fully in control and i loved having the midwife who'd done all me antenatal care,it was so personal..
I found i needed no pain relief just a birthing ball,being in the comfort of my own home made such a difference and also not having to wait around for hours to be discharged from a hospital was great..
I'm trying not to get my hopes up to have one again just incase i cant as i'll be devastated..i cant see there'd be any medical reason why i cant (touch wood) but it would depend when i get into labour if there's a midwife available for me,if not i'd have to go in,which concerns me as i labour fast and i dont realise untill the end that im in labour..(i'll have a long labour now i've said that haha)
When is everyone due?
I'm on 13 july.. having my dating scan to confirm on the 2nd Jan :)

abi_xx

Reply by 7kiddos » Aug. 4, 2014 2:00am

Hi, I'm planning my first hb. I'm so excited!! I've had 4 natural (no meds) Bradley births so I'm no stranger to that aspect of it but, now it gets to be at home!! I see our mw next week for all the paperwork and first appt stuff, then I'll see her again close to 10 wks for the actual prenatal.
I hope we can share our stories and advice...cause I'm so new to this process. I don't even know what my options are...except being at home. LOL! ! Thanks!

7kiddos

Reply by knicole27 » Aug. 4, 2014 10:12am

This thread is pretty old from 2012 but hopefully some new mama's or current moms to be have insight. I have attended a home birth as a birth photographer and it was the most amazing experience i have ever been apart of.

I would love to have one myself but lovely tricare won't cover it here. So its a couple grand to do it. Which is just so silly because home births are cheaper than hospital births but thats exactly why insurance won't cover it. Its cheaper, they wouldn't make a good profit off of it. Its sad. So the picture has been painted as to why a home birth is so "dangerous" . Its quite disgusting. but I won't get into all that. ;)

The mama I attended her birth for had her baby in just a 3 hour labor at 8 am... relaxed with her baby and the babies siblings in the bedroom and then had a cookout with friends that evening. She did not tear at all and could just lounge in the comfort of her home. She said out of all of them it was by far the best birthing experience she's had. Even with the natural hospital birth of her second child.

User Image
User Image

knicole27

Reply by tcinks » Sep. 3, 2014 5:49pm

Hi ladies! I'm also planning on a natural birth, but in a birth center, not at home. :) Maybe one day I can work up to that.

But I've toured my local natural birth center and absolutely loved it! I also toured a hospital birth center, which of course is great if complications arise, but otherwise I see no reason to birth in a hospital! I would like to have a water birth, I've been reading and watching lots of videos about it. Before I got pregnant, I couldn't imagine giving birth without a hospital and medication, but now I'm so excited about the whole experience, without the use of unnecessary interventions and procedures. Birth doesn't have to be scary and complicated, it's such a beautiful and exciting thing! :)

Anyway, this will be my first child and I think I'm wearing rose-colored goggles. Haha. But I absolutely intend to have a natural birth. And hopefully can gain encouragement and support from you ladies on the journey, as well. :)

tcinks

Reply by skikendall » Sep. 10, 2014 2:56am

I am also planning a home birth. I was originally trying for a birth center but there are none in my state. I have never had a natural birth before, but I am looking forward to this new experience.

skikendall

Reply by doularachelyou » Nov. 18, 2014 6:30pm

I'm planning an hbac in march! Would've been a birth center VBAC if the state allowed vbac at a birth center but it doesn't. Only reason I would rather have it at a BC is because my BIL lives with us LOL. I'm a doula and already have my own doula and midwifery team on board & I own my own birth tub, an aqua born eco. I'm also planning on cord burning, and will be co-encapsulating my own placenta with my amazing doula. Can't wait for late February as he, my doula, will be flying down from Canada to Florida where I live and staying with us for a month or so.

26 year old Doula in an amwf relationship. Mother of Aeryn 7/17/06 & Izzy 04/11/12 & Senna due 3/10/15.

User Image
& the prediction is CORRECT!!
User Image

doularachelyou

Reply by calvingirl » Nov. 19, 2014 1:44pm

I'm planning a home birth - my second. I have a 17 yr old son that I gave birth to at home, no complications. I also come from a home birthing family; my mom had 4 of her 6 at home and as the oldest, I attended all of them. My four sisters have had all their kids at home with the exception of a couple with slight complications that needed to be at a hospital, so I've attended 12 births altogether.

I wouldn't do it any other way by choice.

Now, I'm older now and I'm trying my best to be as healthy as possible, but know that complications do arise so I'm not setting my heart on it, but looking forward to another home birth.

I know it won't be a water birth though. It's funny - I planned a water birth with my first, all with classical music playing and no one by DH around...yeah, you can't plan things like that sometimes.

They flipped on the music, I yelled for it off - had to be complete silence. I took a step into the water tub - climbed out again. Could not stand being wet. It was irritating against my skin. Then, I'm pushing and screaming because I wanted my sisters IN the room and why were they being stupid and waiting outside?

Pregnant women are crazy :)

New Little One is my Christmas Present this year!
User Image
Oscar William, born June 15, 2015

calvingirl

Reply by rebecca8411 » Sep. 23, 2017 4:42am

I am planning a natural birth this time around because of my VBAC. The OB's do not recommend any induction drugs because of the risk of rupture and I am afraid to get any pain meds or epidural because it may slow labor. I am going to have the baby in the hospital because I didn't have a support system comfortable enough with a homebirth. I am going to try to labor as much as possible at home before going to the hospital as I spent over 30 hours laboring in the hospital with DD and then ended up with a c-section. They should have sent me home when I first came in because I was only just 2 cm. The exhaustion from constantly hooked up to ivs and monitors probably did not help my failure to progress which was the reason for the C. Dh and I are going to take a VBAC class for which I hope they focus on breathing and visualization. I intend to use the tub for transition time of labor as the water really soothes you and takes a lot of pressure off your body. I am want to use the birthing ball and try to move around as much as possible during labor. I am fortunate in that I labored the first time around so I know what I am getting into. I hope we get to experience the joy of a vaginal birth. I am all about being an active participant in this process.As for who will be there. DH is my main support and I am planning on hiring a doula since I have an OB. My Mother and Aunt will be there but DH and my Aunt have strict instructions to remove my Mother is she starts fretting about the contractions, how much pain I'm in, or watching the fetal monitor like a hawk. She will just make me nervous. She says she will not be like but let's be honest with ourselves Mothers can't help themselves but worry! LOL You should only have there who you would be comfortable with because the more comfortable the Momma, the easier the labor will be.

rebecca8411

Reply by noreen » May. 23, 2018 7:02pm

A midwife is more open to family concerns than a general doctor. It is easier to convince a midwife to do the delivery at home. If you voice out your opinions to a doctor, the scenario would be different. The doctor would tell you that you should follow the best practice: i.e. the medical choice of the physician. Whereas, a midwife will be open to possibilities of a home birth (of course, the risks should be fairly evaluated). Hiring a midwife assures that the whole family can decide and participate in the delivery process. It is a fact that doctors charge more. This is especially true if you are able to have your doctor perform the delivery at home. Doctors usually charge by the hour and the bill would be quite substantial for many deliveries. A midwife offers the same medical wisdom and skill at a considerably lower price. Most midwives charge you for the whole process and not by the hour. If your pregnancy is not high risk, hiring a midwife may be a wise and thrifty decision.

noreen