Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

running during pregnancy

Category: General - Newly Pregnant
Posted by hollowsg » Nov. 16, 2014 12:22pm

Dear All,

I have just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant. I cannot explain how happy I am, this is a great surprise. Now I have a lot to think about but one of my concerns is my running. I have been training for half and full marathons and running is a huge part of my life. Obviously, now my training has slowed down but I want to make sure that i can still continue to run and keep up some kind of fitness. Any advice from anyone is going to help me because I don't want to push it too hard. Anyone else going through the same thing?

Thanks in advanced

Running Mummy

hollowsg

Replies (2)

Reply by Quartz3 » Nov. 16, 2014 5:57pm

I ran two half-marathons (at 14 and 16 weeks) when I was pregnant the first time, and two this time around (at 5 and 6 weeks though, so my training was pretty much done when I found out).

If your pregnancy goes well, there is no reason you couldn't keep training and do your races. Do talk to your doctor to make sure, but here are the guidelines I worked with.

There are two major things to pay attention to when you're running while pregnant. First, you have to stay hydrated, because less hydration = less oxygen for the baby. I would take a sip every 20 minutes as soon as I was out for more than 30-40 minutes. The second thing is you have to be able to talk at all times when you're running, which means running at a comfortable pace. I personally skip speed work completely while pregnant. You will most likely have to adjust your goals for your races.

Generally speaking, as I said, it's fine to keep running while pregnant, but you do have to watch for any bleeding or loss of fluid. If that happens, stop running and get checked out. It is possible that you will have to stop running.

Quartz3

Reply by hollowsg » Nov. 19, 2014 12:54pm

Thanks for your help. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said that running is ok at this point in my pregnancy. It also turns out that I was 2 weeks pregnant when I ran a 30km race. It was PB for me. So I am going to continue running but keep my max at 10km.
Now I have to concentrate on my eating because that had got a little put of control at the moment :)
Thanks again for your help

Running Mummy

hollowsg