Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Scary brains stuff and MRIs while pregnant

Category: Special - Pregnancy Complications & Testing
Posted by MrsBrower » Sep. 3, 2011 3:51pm

I'm not totally sure this should go here, but a mod can move it if need be...

So to top of the Hurricane, I got a raging headache out of no where last week. BAM! it just hit and didn't go away, but just "undulated" between tolerable and HORRIBLE. Then... On Thursday, when I finally got internet back, I was online and my right hand started to go numb, then my whole arm, and the right side of my face and tongue. I couldn't speak properly and I started getting the black out vision and floaties. I called the doctor and they had me come right in, but there was nothing they could do so withing 24 hours I HAD to see a neurologist.... After the exam, he said he thought it was a complex migraine which was best case scenario. BUT, because of other factors, he was worried there was a chance I might have had an aneurysm and would need an MRI, and with my history it could also have been a mild seizure (which requires an eeg test, which is less of a big deal).

AAAAAANYWAY. When I got down the the MRI they scared the hell out of me, about not knowing the risks while pregnant because they don't normally run the test on pregnant women, but with the risk, they wanted me to do it but I had to decide. In the end the doctor told me the risks are unknown, but no really BAD side effects have been noted. So in the end I had to do it because it was 'well, if you have an aneurysm and it ruptures you ALL die. ' lovely right? I spent two hours crying before I actually had the test.

Now... today I have this weird feeling in my abdomen and some spotting (but I had spotting before the test). Has anyone been through this? I'm terrified and upset about putting my babies in jeopardy, and have somewhat convinced myself that I've hurt them! My brain feel totally fried, from the headache and emotional stress. No one understands, people are either like, "it's just a test" or "well, you need to come first." And I want to scream. *sigh*

MrsBrower

Replies (8)

Reply by myfbug » Sep. 4, 2011 1:54am

Oh hun, I'm so sorry you've been going through such a horrible time!

I've been thinking about you, wondering how you are. I noticed you hadn't been on for a while so I was worried.

Wish I could give you a big hug!

I'm sure the MRI wouldn't have hurt your little sweethearts. They know their Mummy is doing everything for them.

How are you feeling now. Did you get your results back?

I'm sending all my love your way.

Myf x

myfbug

Reply by MrsBrower » Sep. 4, 2011 2:50am

oh yes! I totally forgot, they gave them to me right away (if I was having an aneurysm they wanted to deal with it right away)

No aneurysm. Thank GOD. That would have been HORRIBLE, unimaginable really.

So it's not that, but the neurologist wants to rule out seizures, because it was localized to one side. Hopefully I'll get the EEG this week and get results the following.

It's been crazy around here. Sorry to cause worry, the storm knocked out our power for awhile and I didn't get internet back til Thursday or Friday. ew.

I'm still having bleeding. They took me off of the progesterone, but I bled more when I stopped so I'm back on for awhile. only 4 more days till the end of the trimester!!!

Thanks for the well wishes hon, how are you???

MrsBrower

Reply by dmpage » Sep. 4, 2011 12:29pm

WOW! I don't have anything educated to offer you in response to what you've been through. All I do know is, it sounds accurate that without the test and letting something potentially fatal go undetected...you and the lil ones are gone. Unbelievable set of circumstances to swallow!! You were spotting quite frequently before, right? Didn't I hear you say that it's pretty common in twinnies cases? Sooo...stay calm, put your feet up and wait. MAN, I always say that being pregnant ain't for sissies!

I can't wait to hear more about what's going on. Will add you to my prayers.

Diana

They tell me we're having a girl...a sister to her two older brothers? I still don't believe it!!

User Image

pregnancy week by week

dmpage

Reply by MrsBrower » Sep. 4, 2011 1:51pm

Thanks Diana. :)

You're right, it aint for sissies! lol. Yeah, I've been spotting a lot but not so much in a row, but it is common with twinnies so I'll stick with that. lol. We'll see what happens with the progesterone. I'm glad it's done and we know, but it was not easy... I'm still upset about it, but I'm doing better with it. I still have this headache, it's awful. I feel extra bad because I'm snappy and cranky on top of it. I've just had enough! Only 3 days left in the first trimester, what do we think? Will it get easier? lol

I can't wait to have all the nodes on my head to walk around with for 2 days either... that will be interesting!

MrsBrower

Reply by NewMommy07 » Sep. 4, 2011 8:40pm

So sorry to hear you're going through such a rough spot!! I hope they can figure out what's going on quickly!

I read this and it made me think of this episode of 'I Didn't Know I was Pregnant' that I saw the other day where one side of the woman's face went completely numb and was paralyzed.

Have they said anything about Bell's Palsy? What you're describing in your first post sounds almost identical to what the woman was having on the show. Apparently it's very rare, but it happens in pregnant women.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/bells-palsy-topic-overview

Heather
User Image

NewMommy07

Reply by MrsBrower » Sep. 4, 2011 9:05pm

Thanks for the reply!

No, they don't think it's that because it effected the whole right side of my body. The Neurologist really thinks that it was a complex migraine, but is being overly cautious.

I'll be doing the EEG this week, so hopefully once those results come back we'll have our answer.

The headache isn't as bad right now, which I'm appreciating. I've been able to get a few things done.

MrsBrower

Reply by NewMommy07 » Sep. 4, 2011 9:17pm

Well I hope they figure out what's going on so they can do something for you! Glad to hear the headache has settled down a little bit. Hopefully it was just a complex migraine and it will stay away after this. Keeping you and the babies in my prayers!

NewMommy07

Reply by MrsBrower » Sep. 4, 2011 11:25pm

Thanks hon! I hope they figure it out too....

In the mean time, people have suggested trying an amber necklace, it's worth a shot right????

MrsBrower