Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Anyone else doing keto while pregnant?

Category: General - Pregnancy Buddies/Groups
Posted by BritDillinger » May. 5, 2015 6:56am

As the title asks, is anyone else partaking in the ketogenic lifestyle during their pregnancy? I ate this way before pregnancy and I continue to do so the whole way through. My doctor is aware of this way of eating and has no issues with it so long as all tests will come back normal and healthy for the baby.

I would love to speak with others and share just about everything. Please feel free to reply here or even message me!

BritDillinger

Replies (2)

Reply by camille » Jun. 17, 2018 1:07pm

During pregnancy, women become even more sensitive to carbohydrates due to an evolutionary adaption in which they become slightly insulin resistant to allow a positive flow of nutrients to the developing fetus through the placenta. If the mom was more insulin sensitive than the fetus we could end up in a nutrient shortage situation. Biology fixes this problem by making mom a little insulin resistant, effectively “pushing” nutrients to the fetus. This rationalizes just how important feeding you and your fetus a nutrient dense ketogenic diet is.Keto During Pregnancy. Breast-milk is naturally very high in fat as compared to baby formula which is high in carbohydrates and sugar; causing babies to be addicted to sugar early in life. If a newborn is breastfed, it spends a lot of time in ketosis, and therefore keto-adapted. Keto-adapted babies can efficiently turn ketone bodies into acetyl-coA and into myelin. Ketosis helps babies develop and build their brains. I love it when my clients continue to consume those “fat bombs” they ate to get pregnant because the coconut oil helps with the baby because coconut oil has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties which keep the mother and baby healthy. The extra coconut oil also helps with lactation, but more importantly the coconut oil increases lauric acid in the breast milk. Lauric acid is a rare medium-chain fatty acid found in human breast milk that supports healthy metabolism.

camille

Reply by eemanava » 5 weeks ago

Oh wow!

eemanava