Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Planning a natural birth?

Category: Special - Home Birth/Natural Birth
Posted by Vegan_mama » Sep. 12, 2011 4:49pm

Anyone else planning a natural birth? I'm hoping to have a home birth this time around!

Vegan_mama

Replies (18)

Reply by MrsBrower » Sep. 12, 2011 7:39pm

We had initially wanted to do a home birth, but with twins and a high risk pregnancy, it's important to be close to the medical care (The closest NICU is 45 minutes away. *sigh*) BUT, we are hoping to have as natural a birth as possible maybe a water birth if the tubs are set up by then.

Good luck!

MrsBrower

Reply by kristenm514 » Sep. 12, 2011 11:44pm

I am having a natural, home water birth. I had my first baby in the hospital, with an epidural, and am really looking forward to having this experience. I had no idea then that anyone even gave birth at home anymore -- used to live in Illinois where it is still considered illegal. When I moved to Wisconsin, I discovered this awesome community of home birth mamas and midwives, and hired a CPM that I absolutely love. I'm a little nervous about going completely drug free, but I am excited and interested to learn more about natural pain relief methods (which I had no knowledge of going into my last labor).

I hope you get to have your home birth as well!

User Image

User Image

User Image

Baby #2 is on the way!

kristenm514

Reply by jkg9510 » Sep. 13, 2011 12:56am

I am planning on having a natural birth in a hospital, no pitocin, no epidural, no c-section unless necessary for my health or the baby's. I would LOVE to do a homebirth but my husband's baby brother (who would be 5 years old now) died at birth at the hands of a midwife (in a hospital) and he and my in-laws are extremely against it. I should add that I am in no way against midwifery, this particular midwife was too proud to ask for the doctor's help and take my MIL to C-section when the baby couldn't fit through the birth canal even after episiotomy and vacuum. My MIL's pelvis was eventually broken to deliver her son, but it was too late. I know it's really my decision, but I want my husband to feel as comfortable as possible with our birth situation, and if C-section is necessary, I want to be at the hospital. On another, somewhat funny note, I have a client who has had 3 children and the other day at work I asked her about her birth experiences and she said "I went ALL natural!" and started bragging about it, but a fellow co-worker narrowed her eyes and said "Wait, Dana, I could have swore you had something?!" She responded with "Well I had epidurals but other than that, nothing!" Of course I couldn't say anything about it because I didn't want to offend her but does she think that that is the ALL natural way to do it? I'm not judgmental to those who elect to have epidurals, but let's not call it what it's not! Good luck ladies, I hope in the end we are all happy/proud of our birth experiences!

Katie
User Image

jkg9510

Reply by Vegan_mama » Sep. 13, 2011 7:15am

Good luck to all of you!! I'm hoping to have a vbac which can be pretty risky. Hubs and I are having a hard time deciding whether we'll be in the hospital having a natural labor or a home birth. Our home is less than 25 minutes from a hospital so we're pretty close in case of an emergency. I found a midwife who will do a natural hospital vbac with fetal monitoring, but the the monitor still gives you the ability to move around and even be in water. So confused!! Good thing I have lots of time to decide!!!

Vegan_mama

Reply by peachesnkreme » Sep. 13, 2011 1:44pm

I really wanted to do a home birth, but I'm having a VBAC and my husband didn't want us to be away from the hospital. Even though we only live 10 minutes from the hospital its to risky for him. My DS was a pretty traumatic birth, so I am sure that plays a lot into his fears. So, I'm doing another hospital birth,but I plan on no drugs this time, as much as I can anyway!

User Image
Abbie

peachesnkreme

Reply by yasminesa » Sep. 14, 2011 6:32pm

Hey,
I rally want a natural birth in the hospital but I may not get one as I have chronic hypertension and it can sky rocket at anytime. We all get our wish for a natural birth.

One gorgeous daughter, Baby #2 (my little surprise) on the way xXx Yasmine

User Image

yasminesa

Reply by dmpage » Sep. 15, 2011 7:55pm

Hey ladies...having had two COMPLETELY UNNATURAL births (one induction, face presentation = epidural with episiotomy and then my 2nd was a planned c-section due to transverse baby)...my doc basically told me NO NO to VBAC. Did you ladies have to push hard or switch docs to get yours to agree to a VBAC??

I'm considered higher risk since I have no thyroid, am 37, ridiculously huge fibroids and previous complicated births. :( Now I'm curious....

Thanks for any input.

Diana

dmpage

Reply by Shannybum » Sep. 15, 2011 8:17pm

Hi ladies:

My husband is not comfortable with a home birth so I willl not be going that route. I will have a hospital birth attended by my midwife.

I do however really want to do it without an epidural, or without any pain medication if possible. I've heard that the percentage of midwives who need to resort to epidurals is very low - also I have heard that your attitude gong into labour will affect the outcome. If you go into it confident and positive that you can handle it, and not afraid, and with a goal and visualization in mind, that helps.

Again, this is my first birth so that might be hogwash but I'm trying to stay confident, well informed/prepared and unafraid.

The baby has to come out and it will hurt but I will get through it, is sort of my mindset.

Shannybum

Reply by kristenm514 » Sep. 15, 2011 9:01pm

Yes! The fear/pain cycle is very real -- I am convinced that is what led to my having an epidural my first birth. I didn't trust my body and I let myself become overwhelmed by the pain and the anticipation of worse pain to come. If you can find a copy of "Birthing from Within", it's a really great book about trusting your body's ability to labor and deliver on its own without medication. There is also a specific type of birthing class that discusses the fear/pain cycle, but its name slips my mind.

User Image

User Image

User Image

Baby #2 is on the way!

kristenm514

Reply by mamacitashop » Sep. 16, 2011 8:48am

I had natural birth in hospital. No pain relief except for shower. And sooo happy with my choice. I was more affraid of the possible epidural outcomes than pain. Most of my girlfriends had epidural and half of them ended up with csection or other challenges.
Have a healthy pregnancy.

mamacitashop

Reply by mollyv86 » Nov. 16, 2011 7:42pm

I am all for natural birth, after having two babies born in water I couldnt be more pro-natural. The idea of at home scares me though. There is such a fine line between healthy and at risk when it come to babies I personally feel 100% safer at a hospital. That being said, my hospital has a great water birthing room that not all are as lucky to have. I think its really a personal choice now matter what anyone elses experience or beliefs are.

mollyv86

Reply by el2011 » Nov. 23, 2011 3:05pm

dmpage, my friend's doctor also refused vbac... some doctors will do it, some won't. Someone told me that ob/gyns are the most sued doctors (at least in the US) so many tend to be very conservative with what they will or won't do. That's why there are so many more c-sections than what are really medically necessary. (I need to check my facts, but I'm pretty sure the US has the highest c-section rate in the developed world! And the state I live in is one of the worst culprits)

So if you're dead set for it, I think your only option is to find a different doctor who will do it.

I'm newly pregnant, and was just diagnosed with a fairly good sized fibroid, so I don't know how things will go just yet, but my plan right now is for a natural hospital birth with a doula. The hospital my close friend recently delivered in has a jacuzzi for a water birth, but it depends on whether someone else is using it at the same time whether I'll be able to use it. I do really like the idea though. To be honest I am terrified of needles and the epidural sounds worse than the pain of labor so I really don't consider that an option. I'm just praying I don't get forced into a c-section ... not against c-sections when necessary, I just don't particularly want one!

el2011

Reply by yasminesa » Nov. 28, 2011 6:56pm

Hey ladies,
I was doing my research on unmedicated births and have come across the birthing ball. I really like the sound of it but DH is very skeptical and thinks I could get injured or hurt baby or both. Anyone else ooked at this or no some one who used it during labour?

User Image

yasminesa

Reply by kristenm514 » Nov. 28, 2011 9:16pm

I used a birthing ball and will again with this one. It is not dangerous, as it is large enough to give you a pretty good center of balance. Also, if you have something to hold on to (a squatting bar, your DH, etc) you'll feel even more secure.

User Image

User Image

User Image

Baby #2 is on the way!

kristenm514

Reply by yasminesa » Nov. 29, 2011 12:41pm

Kristen - Great feedback thanx, I thought that there can't be much wrong in using one, nice to know it was so good your using it twice. I am not paniced about using it but dh worries about everything lol very useful to know thanx.

Another question - anyone used a TENS machine for labour? our hospital offers you to rent one during your labour for the pain, sounds a good form of drug free relief but does it work?

Lots of love to you wonderful ladies

User Image

yasminesa

Reply by baby4us » Nov. 29, 2011 8:34pm

Hi there, I am also planning a natural home birth. I have a 22 month old son and we opted for this the first time around too :)
Congrats, natural birth is the best thing for you and baby (provided pregnancy has no complications), and if you can do it at home as well its even better!!
Definately makes the early adjustment days and breastfeeding more relaxed being in your own home, and after doing this once I cannot even imagine going to a hospital by choice :)

baby4us

Reply by yasminesa » Dec. 1, 2011 6:57pm

Hey baby4us,
I have heard many people say that its far more comfortable and relaxing at home. I hope it all goes well for you.

AFM - Damn, damn, damn! I may have spoken to soon about getting my active birth just got back form my appointment with my consutant and he was not happy with my bp as it has slowly risen over the past few weeks. He has changed my meds and I am to see him on tuesday for a check and go into hospital on thursday to see another dr for a second opinion on how often I should be seen and whether to schedule a c-section. Damnations!!! But was told to get the birth ball for exercise at home in the hope of easing the pain and as I am now on Bedrest! So disappointed with how it went. Sorry for the downer.

User Image

yasminesa

Reply by urwithablish » Nov. 26, 2012 9:49pm

congrats to u.

urwithablish