Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

?May 2017 babes? - Page 4

Replies (117)

Reply by margie_m » Oct. 19, 2016 11:01am

Hi ladies,

Mammoth - I hear you. I've been getting up at least once a night to pee. I don't usually have any trouble getting back to sleep though.

I have a question - how are you guys dealing with morning sickness and work?

AM- I don't know if it's pregnancy or OHSS but I can't wear anything that puts pressure on my stomach or I feel really sick. I think I'll have to go invest in one of those pant extender bands.

margie_m

Reply by Mammoth » Oct. 21, 2016 5:03pm

margie_m I'm lucky that I am not properly sick. But I do get tired and have found it hard when I've been put on break duty and therefore don't get a break until lunch (supply teacher). It's hard work being on your feet all the time - and not going to the loo!

Even though I'm not hardly showing, I've started wearing some stretchier clothes because tightness around my belly does make me feel dodgy. Today I'm wearing stretchy maternity jogging bottoms under a loose dress. Somehow made it look smart with a nice scarf!

Had my first midwife appointment. I was disappointed because it was just a huge tick-box exercise. I didn't feel that they got to know me and were not really taking my needs into account.

I might be low risk for a stroke during labour, but I have a higher than usual risk for miscarriage, early labour, placenta abruptia and post-natal hemorhaging. I have no idea if a consultant will even look at me in terms of those risks or whether I warrant any higher monitoring.

I wanted to know if there was any chance of a home birth. I suspect I could do this easily as no one would pick up on the risks..... but... will I be appropriately managed/ monitored unless I kick up a fuss?

The net is wide in the NHS, but the holes are wide.

I was asked lots of irrelevant questions. (Like why would it matter what conditions run in my family when we used a donor for the egg?) My last monthly period doesn't matter when the egg was not produced in my body and when everything was controlled by medication.

Oh well, at least the appointment will check my blood for anaemia, my urine for a UTI and will generate an appointment for a twelve week scan.

Hope everyone else is well.

User Image

Mammoth

Reply by margie_m » Oct. 31, 2016 6:06pm

Hey ladies,

Mammoth - I hear you on wearing stretchier clothing already. I find that any extra pressure on my stomach leads to bad things.

Morning sickness definitely caught up with me. I'm throwing up every few days if not every day now but it does reassure me that my little Bee is growing well.

AFM - I had my last appointment with the infertility clinic today. Everything looked good. Bee is measuring 9w4d instead of 9w5d with a lovely heartbeat of 171 bpm. It was the first time DH could be there with me for it which was an interesting experience. I meet with my OB on Thurday but they said it wasn't likely that I would get another U/S this week.

margie_m

Reply by Mammoth » Nov. 5, 2016 1:51pm

Not sure where everyone else has gone, but hope they are all fine!

I've been lucky with the sickness. Even though I feel ill once or twice most days, it soon goes if I sip water and eat something.

I've had mid-back twinges the last few days and it's worse at night. The muscles seem to go into spasm. It might not be anything to do with being pregnant, but it's not pleasant. There's pain no matter what position I sleep in. I gave up trying to sleep at 6 am this morning and got up, did some washing up and made some oat and raisin cookies. Hubby joined me by 9 am.

Not sleeping is not fun. I feel like I haven't slept properly for weeks now - I'd happily swap the back pain for simply needing a wee!

I've got my 12 week scan coming u on Tuesday. Looking forward to that. I just want to know that everything is okay.

One mildly annoying thing is that they seem to want 4 x £1 coins to buy one scan picture. And yet they won't let you take your own pictures of the scan since it is NHS property! At least we're not being charged for the scan, I suppose.

Really looking forward to coming off the progesterone and estrogen which I can stop at 12 weeks and I'm titrating off the steriods and will be off them completely at 13 weeks.

User Image

Mammoth

Reply by margie_m » Nov. 5, 2016 5:42pm

Mammoth - the back pain sounds like a real sucky symptom. I've had some hip pain, but I thought it was more because I was sleeping so much.

I had my first OB appointment on Thursday. It's the first time I've had an abdominal ultrasound. It was so cool to see the little one flailing around. Next appointment is in 5 weeks. I'll find out the gender sometime in the next few weeks. I'm so looking forward to the end of the first trimester. I've been so sick, why do they call it morning sickness when it comes all day? Here's hoping that that particular symptom goes away soon.

margie_m

Reply by dgdtstanley » Nov. 7, 2016 2:45am

http://www.today.com/parents/ultrasound-warning-fda-recommends-against-keepsake-ultrasounds-1D80372998

https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasoundrodgers.asp

this makes me worry

dgdtstanley

Reply by Mammoth » Nov. 7, 2016 12:13pm

margie_m

That's so great that you could see your little one! So exciting!

I'm looking forward to the end of the first trimester too - partly because the biggest risk if over and partly because it means I can come off my medications! No more sticking progesterone up my backside! Yes!

My 12 week scan is tomorrow!

Morning sickness.... I guess for some women it must be worse in the morning because they are hungry/ dehydrated. Sorry you are suffering. I was sick for the first time yesterday. Turned the oven on and there was something stuck to the bottom and it made a smell my belly didn't like at all! I also had the feeling that something was stuck in my throat.

dgdtstanley

Interesting. No one knows if scans can cause problems. They are generally thought to be safe, since it is really just soundwaves. The possible risks outlined in the articles are all just theories.The causality has not been proven.

I feel confident that scans do not cause autism! Autism has existed long before ultrasound scans. The more likely scenario is simply that autism is being diagnosed more due to a higher awareness of what autism is. It was underdiagnosed in years gone by, so of course it is on the rise!

I would think it unlikely that scanning causes birth defects. Perhaps this is due to other factors in our modern age?

All the same, anyone wanting extra scans just so they have more photos for their album should think carefully. Just in case. One or two should be plenty unless there are genuine medical concerns.

User Image

Mammoth

Reply by awebste » Nov. 7, 2016 1:32pm

@margie - glad you are doing well! so happy you got to see the little bean bounce around! its so exciting! hoping your weeks fly by to your next appt!

@Mammoth - so exciting for tomorrow!

I am past the 12 week mark now but my ultrasound isn't until Monday the 14th. The office was reluctant to schedule me this week - they had no appts so asked me to wait until Monday which is fine. I will be over 13 weeks by then and just hoping that the timing is still within the window for the IPS1 to get a good reading. I was assured it was fine so there's that I guess lol. My last few weeks are winding down which is amazing - I can't wait to be at home with my DD and move into our new home for the holidays. The nausea is starting to wind down for me - and the extreme fatigue is also starting to get better. I am grateful for that - I felt pretty much useless for a few weeks there between the exhaustion and the nausea - so happy that the second tri is hopefully going to bring continued relief from both.

awebste

Reply by Mammoth » Nov. 11, 2016 1:36pm

My 12 week scan was fine (after 50 minutes of waiting with a full bladder!). It was great to see baby kicking, waving, wriggling and dancing! So different from the little manatee-seahorse we saw at around 7 weeks. Everything looked great. Again, it was great for Ed to be able to see the LO in action because I 'feel' pregnant in various ways but I'm not really showing much and I don't look too different.

"Can you feel a tiny bump?"
"Erm, not really."

It's reassuring to know that from now on, the risk is very low and it stays steady throughout the rest of the pregnancy. What an amazing place to be!

It's been great to be able to tell more people and there's been a massive response. I guess people have known how long we've been on this journey and some of what we've been through.

It turns out that despite the egg donor going through extensive screening in Spain, one or two tests regularly done in the UK weren't performed. Therefore, they are testing Ed's blood. If he's clear, then it's not a problem because both parents have to be positive in beta-thalassemia or sickle cell before it can be (possibly) passed to the child. All pretty unlikely, but the screening team want to check.

One more thing - apparently, I will get obstetrician-led care, but I don't get to meet him until January, after the 20w scan. I actually think I've met him before for a hysteroscopy and my memory was that he was very kind and seemed to know a lot about my conditions - very reassuring.

Hope you are all well!

User Image

Mammoth

Reply by margie_m » Nov. 14, 2016 1:36pm

Hey ladies,

Mammoth - I'm so glad to hear that everything is progressing well for you. I had the exact opposite at my first OB appointment. I met the OB but was told I'll be seen by a nurse practitioner midwife because I'm low risk so far.

Awebste - I'm really looking forward to hearing about your appointment! Have you made your move to the new house yet? I'm glad to hear the symptoms are starting to subside. Mine are still unpleasant but it give me hope that they'll be gone soon.

AFM - I'll be 12 weeks this Wednesday. I can't wait. I'm hoping I can convince DH to tell his family before we go home for Christmas, some how showing up already wearing maternity clothes seems wrong to me. Also I had to tell the ladies I spent the weekend with to not post any comments about me and baby on facebook.

margie_m

Reply by Mammoth » Nov. 14, 2016 5:47pm

awebste - Do you feel that you need a consultant?

I have endometriosis and adenomyosis.

I have an increased risk of: miscarriage even in the 2nd or 3rd trimester, early labour, placenta abrupta, low birth weight and baby being in a poor position. A c-section may well be required.

However, I'm in touch with other women who have these conditions and I know it is still possible to have a healthy natural birth.

I would love to have my baby naturally - at home. We will see what my consultant says about that!

User Image

Mammoth

Reply by awebste » Nov. 17, 2016 2:12pm

Appointment on Monday went so well! Baby looked great! I was measuring 5 days ahead but the tech said that she would leave it up to my doctor to discuss due date changed with me. She didn't think they would change it - which is fine. I will be a scheduled c-section anyways so it won't much matter. I was expecting baby to look so different from my DD - but surprisingly they have very similar characteristics. If I get a chance I will post a pic of the little nugget.

I go for my next fam doc appt in a few weeks just for a check up. I had a bladder infection the last time and I just finished my meds for that this past week so hoping it doesn't return. By my next family doc appt (Dec 2) we will likely discuss OB's. I think I will request the same OB I had with my DD even though he didn't end up doing my csection. Aside from that I will need to go for my second round of bloodwork for the ips screening. I had my first round the same day as my ultrasound and they had to stab me 4 times before they actually got the tiny vial of blood - it was terrible! I don't have great veins in my arms but it rarely takes 4 attempts. Hopefully its not quite as difficult the next time.

@margie - how are you doing girl? have you been for your 12 week yet?

@mammoth - how are you feeling?

awebste

Reply by Mammoth » Nov. 19, 2016 11:24am

Glad baby is fine.

Urgh - hate it when they take blood. I had a doctor give me a huge bruise (hematoma) on my arm once - very painful. I found that I'm usually fine so long as I'm well hydrated and the room is warm enough!

I'm feeling fine, thanks! Still getting a slightly sore back, but never mind. It's only just before I get up, so not terrible.

Starting to look slightly fat now! Other have started to notice my belly - at least those who know me well.

User Image

Mammoth

Reply by margie_m » Nov. 21, 2016 2:09pm

Hi ladies,

Mammoth - That sucks that they bruised your arm while getting blood work done. I've been getting a sore back too. it's more of a nuisance than anything else. That's awesome that you're starting to show. How many weeks are you now?

Awebste - ouch that sounds painful. I hope the next round doesn't take them 4 times to get the vein. I'm glad baby is looking healthy. It's so cool that you can already see similarities between your DD and the new baby. They did my 12 week appointment when I was 10 weeks (for whatever reason they seem to have a range for each appointment and I'm usually in on the early end) My next appointment will be when I'm 16 weeks.

Are you guys finding out the gender?

AFM - nausea and vomiting is easing off, except when I brush my teeth. I'm still tired a lot but I'm hoping that will start to pass in the next few weeks. I'm starting to move to maternity clothes because my pants no longer fit me. I don't look pregnant, I just look like I've put on weight. If putting pressure on my stomach didn't make me feel terrible, I'd just switch to a larger size pant. I can't believe we're into the holiday season and out of the first trimester already!

margie_m

Reply by awebste » Nov. 21, 2016 4:42pm

@margie - yes there is a wide range for the 12 week appt - I was closer to 14 weeks when they did mine and they said it was fine. I look like I have let myself go and gained weight only in my stomach. I don't think it counts as showing yet for me - just a pooch from bloating, past c-section, etc. I imagine in the next few weeks it will be even more noticeable. My pant choices are anything that doesn't put pressure on my stomach (leggings, etc.). I tried some of my maternity clothes and they were still too big to be wearing yet so just have to get through this awkward stage and in a few weeks hopefully I will be into them and more comfortable.

I had a lot of back pain over the weekend - today when I woke up it wasn't as bad. My stomach seems much firmer now, so I am wondering if the uterus has now peeked over the pelvic bone and the shift was causing the back pain and stretching pain? Not sure.

Can't believe its the holiday season either! For me this pregnancy has flown by! By Christmas I will be HALF way through the pregnancy - I just can't believe it!

Like with our DD - we will not find out the gender. As much as the planner side of me thinks it would be organizationally easier to know before hand - we just love the surprise in the delivery room of being told if its a boy or girl! So Team Green for us!

awebste

Reply by Mammoth » Nov. 24, 2016 7:49pm

I think that my back pain is partly due to trapped wind and a full bowel/ bladder that comes in the early hours of the morning. My body is overstretched at that point! Mint tea is helping a bit.

I am fitting into some of my maternity clothes (especially the tights) thought most of them are hanging loose and with lots of room to expand. I'm also able to wear some clothes that are a size bigger that have some stretch.

I'm 14 weeks 2 days today.

Ed doesn't want to know the gender, so probably we won't find out at our next scan, which is at 19w.

User Image

Mammoth

Reply by margie_m » Dec. 5, 2016 2:44pm

Hey ladies,

I had a scare over the weekend. I had some spotting, which is unfortunately still ongoing, and ended up in the ER. Baby is alright, or was at 1 am on Sunday morning. They couldn't figure out what caused the bleed but they said since baby is ok I could go home. I just want a nice uneventful pregnancy.

margie_m

Reply by Mammoth » Dec. 5, 2016 10:40pm

margie m - sorry you've had a scare. I think it's not uncommon in pregnancy. Hopefully, that's that and the rest of your journey will be uneventful. I had a bleed at 6 weeks and I remember feeling like it was all over - but everything was fine! If you've been checked out and baby is fine, hopefuly that's the end of your bother.Thinking of you. x

User Image

Mammoth

Reply by Pumpkinface111291 » Dec. 6, 2016 12:10am

Hello ladies, i've been posting mainly on the June board, but wanted to pop in with some reassurance when I saw Margie had some bleeding. Try not to worry too much, especially since it's spotting, with my oldest, I bled A LOT, like, scary amounts, and it would happen suddenly, I have no idea what caused it, but she was fine. I even had clots come out with the blood, so like I said, try not to worry too much, which is of course, easier said than done.

BabyFetus Ticker

Pumpkinface111291

Reply by tflorence87 » Dec. 6, 2016 9:54pm

Hello, Ladies!

Margie I COMPLETELY understand your concern. I had a scare the day before Thanksgiving. I have two large fibroids and they decided to act up and cause me EXTREME pain that day. So bad I couldn't drive home and my husband had to come get me where I stopped 5 miles from my job to take me to the E.R. Not only was I in pain but I started to leak fluid like I was urinating on myself, and the fluid had some blood in it. Needless to say we were both terrified. But it eventually stopped and they said my little Peanut was just fine, heartbeat was great so they sent me home. I'm so glad that we and our little ones are okay. =) I even thought I felt a small kick today but it might have just been my imagination, lol.

tflorence87