Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

bad news :(

Category: General - Pregnancy Buddies/Groups
Posted by Amber12 » Oct. 1, 2017 6:20am

Hi
I've just heard the bad news from my doc about my chances for down syndrome being quite high. 1:160 & I'm almost 36 years old. We've decided to go in for aminocentesis to get some clarity. If you've gone thru it please do let me know how the experience was. I've been crying my eyes out since I found out yesterday & any help would be wonderful. I really had a tough time until we decided to do the amnio because I somehow didn't feel I could live the next 5 months without knowing whats up.
I was told there are lots of parents who opt to abort if the results from amino are positive. It is such a huge and scary and heartbreaking decision & I can't even bear to go there yet. I hope I won't have to either.
Keeping our fingers crossed.

Amber12

Replies (2)

Reply by jennylee » Oct. 1, 2017 6:21am

Hello ,

Feeling Sorry for you... I know its such a shock and devastating situation. I have heard and read a lot about these scans giving "False Positives", ie though your baby is fine, it says its not or viceversa. I would suggest you get a scan done once more, at a better hospital and check the results there before opting for amino. N also amino has many chances of leading to miscarriage.

Have a talk with your family members and doctor and then proceed further. Be positive and think positive, hope for the better, its just the chances, not the final result. some times situations changes upside down, a baby even with down, wen treated well during early stages leads a normal, balanced life till 60. I have read them. Please do some research and keep urself updated of all the facts.

jennylee

Reply by Amber12 » Oct. 1, 2017 6:25am

Thank you for your support jenny. I really had a tough time until we decided to do the amnio because I somehow didn't feel I could live the next 5 months without knowing whats up. I'm happy to report that the amnio went off without incident & the doctor was extremely competent. I didn't feel more than a tiny prick & before I realized it was all done!
The FISH test results have come & it is clear!!! My husband & I are so relieved now. I know a lot of things can still go wrong but I've decided that I'm not going to worry any more about stuff I can't control. I'm going to take your advice & stay positive & enjoy my pregnancy from now on. God knows we have tried for ages to get pregnant & I'm not going to worry unnecessarily & let this beautiful time pass by.

Thank you again for the wonderful support:)
Love

Amber12