Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

December 2015 Babies - Page 44

Replies (943)

Reply by MalPal85 » Jan. 11, 2016 11:18pm

miniray - glad all is well with your baby :). Sorry about the breastfeeding but I'm glad pumping is working for you.

Pbc - I'm not so good. Today was rough for me. I'm on day 4 of 50mg of Zoloft (the generic brand) and I just want it to work asap. Colton was up most of the day and more than usual last night and I was just reading about the sleep, eat, play method and I had a panic attack just thinking about trying to start a routine. I'm also thinking that I should have him at least nap in his "real" crib but that is also making me nervous. I am really hating feeling this way and it's wearing me down. I haven't even eaten much today.

Hope all is well with everyone else.

MalPal85

Reply by pbc910 » Jan. 12, 2016 2:37am

MalPal- as someone who has Googled everything related to babies in the last 8 weeks, the best piece of advice I can give you is do what works for you all! If he has to sleep on you, do it! Do whatever lets you get sleep too! F all the perfect people who have babies that apparently never cry and sleep perfectly at 3 weeks. Reality with a newborn is much different! I haven't started any routine with the twins until today and that was by coincidence. I felt bad and stressed because we were just doing what we needed to in order to get by and not what I was reading online. You are doing a wonderful job! If we didn't love our babies so much, we wouldn't be in such a state to need medicinal assistance. Things slowly fall into place. I still have no idea what I am doing. Fake it til you make it, right?! Message me here or FB if you ever need to bitch, vent, or even to share the good stuff. The only other thing I can say is never not have wine on hand!

pbc910

Reply by miniray » Jan. 14, 2016 5:38pm

MalPal - Belgian news has been showing the weather from Buffalo today, holy sh*t!! Hope you're not too affected by all that ice....

Pumping has gone easier than breastfeeding, but was still a total nightmare to begin with. I was following the midwife's advice and pumping every 4 hours, but it was leaving me constantly hungry and totally exhausted, I was back to having daily breakdowns I was so fed up. But then Tuesday everything seemed to have settled and I started pumping just twice a day. I'm now getting 70-80 ml from each breast instead of around 60 ml total, which is a great boost for me. Christopher seems to prefer a mix of breast milk and formula at the minute, so what I'm getting is enough for 4 bottles a day :-)

pbc - I'm totally with you, especially after all my so-called plans went out of the window when I was in labour. Do whatever works to give you a happy balance between your baby's needs and your own sanity. my SIL tried Breastfeeding to a schedule and lost her supply within a couple of weeks. We gave in and gave Christopher a pacifier at a week old because it was just too stressful for us both to listen to him getting so upset at 3am.

We managed to get our LO to sleep in his crib at night with a little trick from my Mum - we took the infant insert out of his rocker and put him on it in the crib for a nap. He was fussy for about half an hour, then slept in it for another 2 hours. That night we did the same and he slept for 5 hours! BF got up to him for a 3am feed and let me sleep, I felt great the next day :-)

No wine here, I'm not really a drinker, but boy do I look forward to my post-pump coffee! :-)

miniray

Reply by pbc910 » Jan. 14, 2016 6:51pm

miniray - that's a good trick! Glad to see you are getting some much needed rest.

I will TAKE ANY ADVICe about sleeping. These kids will not sleep for more than 2 hours at a time. It's getting really old!

pbc910

Reply by MrsZero » Jan. 15, 2016 12:57pm

hi laides,

omg so sorry for being awol, ive been soooooooooooo sick again, and billy was ill and the housework was taking over blah fecking blah.

Anyway, sorry to read we all have our struggles. As a third time round mum I want to be able to help you all, so here goes.

Sleeping: you think babies would sleep loads right? lol they are so fussy, Christopher is defo my most fussy baby yet. He really likes to sleep on us for his naps, he would sleep in his cot at nighttime, but towards the last third of the night he would struggle and be on me, but now he is 4 and a half weeks old, he's grown out of it.

Perserverance (cant spell that lol) is the key, which is bullsh!t with a screaming baby, I know that lol. Leave them in their cot/crib etc where YOU want them to sleep and give it 30mins if they are crying (their not in pain so they are fine) and then pick them up if you need to. You can always put them in their cot/crib and stay with them for abit, a littlle baby massage/tummy rub to get them off to sleep and then sneak out.

Make sure you're laying baby down for a nap straight after a feed/winding session when they are all full of milk and dopey lol, I know sometimes they like to poop so you have to change a nappy, but this sort of thing wakes them up and makes them grumpy, so being super quick with a nappy change is good.

Good advice for getting onto a sleeping through the night schedual is keeping daytime bright and playful, and then making sure they wind down for bedtime, calmer noises, bath, dressed for bed (Christopher loves his sleepsack), feed in very dim light and then into bed.

Most of us seem to be on bottles/formula so its easy to see how much baby is drinking, you can always elongate the time before the last feed before bed, and then give baby a slightly bigger feed which prepares to sleep longer. Christopher is 4 and a half weeks and going 4/5 hours at night between feeds, so thats 1 or 2 night feeds now which is great.

It really does get easier around the 6 week mark. Stick with routines you can 'make' baby do want you want them to do, I have to make sure I can get billy to kita and hubby off to work without the baby interfearing, which usually goes to plan.

Something I think doesnt get spoken about much is GROWTH SPURTS, they f*ck up everything... but they last a few days so grin and bear it. With my kiddies theyve been at: 10 days, 3 weeks, 5/6 weeks, and then about 3months when they get their jabs. Some babies are really sleepy for them, and others scream. All 3 of mine have screamed lol and it feels like youre back to square one, but it wont last, keep doing the same old with them, it will pass honest.

Ive been struggling with snow, ice and sucky weather and not being able to go out for a walk. Babies usually like being in the pushachair and it helps them sleep, and Christopher doesnt seem to like his swinging chair very much which is annoying, especially as we cant go out :/ but he's having loner awake and 'playing' time now, and abit more interested in the brightly coloured toys in his playpen.

We had the 1 month baby check today, everything is fine, baby is 60cm long... holy moly, and he's outgrowing lots of stuff lol. Both hips are fine, no dysplasia which is a relief as I have it in both hips.

Next check is 3 months for jabs!

love to you all xxx

MrsZero

Reply by MrsZero » Jan. 15, 2016 12:59pm

just a thought for PBC and the twins, with sleeping, are they sleeping together or separate?

I wonder if they either miss each other, or are p!ssing each other off? lol I have a friend with twins and they would only sleep sharing a cot as they missed each other.

MrsZero

Reply by pbc910 » Jan. 15, 2016 1:54pm

We've tried a lot of those tricks and nothing seems to work. As formula fed babies they should theoretically being going longer between feeds but I can hardly get them to 2 hours. They've never slept together so I could try that. I'm just about at the mast straw and I'm hoping my pediatrician can shed some light on things and rule out anything medical. They are about 10 lbs each so I know it's not a weight thing. I'm just going to have to let them cry it out regarding their cribs but not sure how to make them sleep longer.

pbc910

Reply by MrsZero » Jan. 17, 2016 3:47pm

I hope you get some help/answers from the dr, its so fustrating when youve tried everything, what about crainial osteopathy massage?

MrsZero

Reply by pbc910 » Jan. 20, 2016 6:43pm

How is everyone! I posted a JE with some updates. Things are better! They arent sleeping any longer but it just seems better for some reason. I am feeling better about my abilities and I feel more in love with these kiddos than I have before. Still tough but luckily i don't know any other way.

pbc910

Reply by MalPal85 » Jan. 23, 2016 12:08am

Have to vent my frustrations to my December mama's. My husband really pissed me off. I feel like absolutely nothing has changed for him and everything has changed for me. He still meets his buddy one day a week after work for a beer, still plays poker every other Friday night after work. It's like, what the hell? Can I get away for an hour or two? He's great with Colton when he is home so I can't complain too much but I wish he was home more. Just frustrated today because last night was a pretty sleepless night because Colton was up a lot and he's been really fussy today and here I am...by myself. He had the hepatitis B shot yesterday (second one since he had one in the hospital) so not sure if that has something to do with it or not.

MalPal85

Reply by pbc910 » Jan. 24, 2016 1:51am

I'd tell his butt to stay home! It sucks even with the good ones. Even though my husband doesn't go out, I still get annoyed because he goes to work and needs sleep. How stupid am I? I thought we would both have no sleep but I quickly learned I can deal with it and he can't. I think it's the crappy nature of having kids that moms have it worse. Shots could have made him like that. Ours had their 2 month shots and I think it made them slightly more sleepy but I know all kids respond differently.

pbc910

Reply by pbc910 » Jan. 24, 2016 8:31am

I can't believe I am saying this but it's 3am and I am BORED. On the weekends, I watch the babies overnight and DH takes over around 8am so I can sleep. But I am not tired since I was able to get "so" much sleep yesterday. Therefore, I thought I would write a longer update.

The pediatrician was pleased with the babies' growth at their 2 month visit last week. They've gained 2 and 3 lbs in a month! I was worried that Oliver was eating too much and Fiona not enough but the doctor said their growth was good. We don't go by a schedule but feed on demand. The doctor seemed to think that trying to schedule feedings especially with 2 babies is too complicated. Honestly, it never worked for us so that was good to hear! Even without a strict schedule, they consistently feed every 2-3 hours anyway.

Sleep is gradually getting better. They now know whats night and day. They are sleeping longer at night but still wake up about 2-3 times to feed. They eat then easily go back to bed instead of staying up for hours! Oliver was able to get a diaper change and even had his nose cleared tonight and went right back to bed. Their "bedtime" is usually around 10-11pm and they have been sleeping until 10-11am. The only major issue is that they are sleeping in their rockers or on me. We are going to start napping in cribs next week. I am still sleeping in the living room overnight with them while DH sleeps in the room. At this point, we could probably move the rockers into the room and we could sleep together but it's just easier this way. I hope this continues as I went from being up most of the night to now being able to sleep for a couple hours here and there.

I am starting to really get this whole "mother" thing and with the help of medication for my anxiety, I am doing very well. I've lost all my pregnancy weight and 16 more pounds and I am not even breastfeeding or pumping anymore! I am guessing it's because we eat out less. When I was pregnant I was always craving fast food or chocolate. I tend to want more home cooked meals and less sweets now. I am also understandably more active with 2 kiddos! I am starting to work from home and go to my office for a couple hours each weekend. As soon as we can find a daycare, I will return to work full time. I hope to go back in a couple weeks. I don't look forward to having the kids in daycare but I do look forward to working!

I am enjoying seeing their little personalities develop. Fiona has been a fussy baby so I hope she gradually outgrows that. She is usually fussy in the evenings, which is unfortunately when their dad is with them while I try to nap. I think a lot of her fussiness is just normal and then some is because of her gas. She's been fussy like this since birth while Oliver is more laid back...he only gets upset when hungry. They are smiling a lot more and making more and more sounds.

I hope everyone is doing well and babies are growing!!!!

pbc910

Reply by MrsZero » Jan. 26, 2016 7:10am

Hi Ladies,

malpal - I would have serious words with hubby and let him know that its important that his life has to change now their is a baby in the equation and that things can not stay the same as before. and/or work out something where you both take turns for a night out etc, it is good for both of you to have a 'break' from the baby to feel grounded again.

pbc - glad to hear the twins are doing well, ive just seen that fab facebook pic of you holding them , you're doing a great job. Glad to hear they are sleeping better now and good luck with moving them to their cribs :)

--
afm--- we have all been sick again *i know* I cant believe it either, Christopher has a nasty cold and now he has an umibilical granuloma (a little red lump coming from his belly button). we are going to be treating it with salt and hopefully it will shrivel up and die(!)

love to you all xx

MrsZero

Reply by MalPal85 » Jan. 27, 2016 12:03am

Pbc - Glad you were able to catch up on some sleep. So glad babies are doing well and growing like weeds :). I'm sure you are feeling more sane since they are sleeping better, lol. I think I'm starting to get the whole "mother thing" as well and I'm not getting as stressed our or nervous when he cries. Like you said, medication is a wonderful thing (and wine) lol. I can't wait for more personality from Colton. It will make it much more rewarding. I've noticed in just the last few days that he is smiling a lot more. I got a real good smile out of him today after he spit up in his car seat lol.

MrsZero - I was able to get out and do some shopping on Saturday by myself which was really nice except I spent too much money considering I'm only on NYS disability right now, lol. Good thing we put a bunch in savings before baby making and Tom is back working full-time, lol.

AFM, like I said earlier, I got real pissed at Tom last Friday for coming home from work and then going to poker night. I was probably over reacting a little but he still needs to understand that I need some time which I got on Saturday. I still think he is scared to be alone with Colton though because he packed up and went to his parents which is OK with me but in the beginning I thought he was better with Colton that I was! (TMI) I got my first period on Sunday and let me tell you, it's true what they say about the first one/few being heavy. It's almost like my miscarriage last January. I had to go out to Walmart today and buy heavy duty pads. The Zoloft is definitely starting to do it's job (Thank God). Still have some more progress to make but I feel so much better than I did. I hate that I wasted almost a month of my maternity leave being scared and feeling helpless though. If there is next time, I'm having that shit prescribed to me before I leave the hospital! I'm officially going back to work on February 23. I'll be working part-time for 3 weeks and then back to full-time. I'm looking forward to the part-time but not the full-time. Colton will be 9 weeks when I go back and my in-laws, thankfully, decided to watch Colton until he is 12 weeks and then he will start daycare.

Colton is doing well. He was constipated yesterday (I think) as he was gassy and fussy all day so we did every trick in the book (warm bath, bicycle legs, rubbing tummy and rectal temperature) and he finally went. Now today, he has gone 3 times so I don't get it, lol.

On a sad note, my grandpa passed away yesterday at the ripe old age of 87 so it will be a tough next few days but he lived a good life.

I hope all is well with you guys. FYI - I will probably post a journal entry sometime later this week that will include this same info so don't bother reading it December Mama's, haha.

MalPal85

Reply by pbc910 » Jan. 27, 2016 1:36am

MrsZero - hope you all start to feel better. We;ve been sick too...I got a cold then gave it to Fiona and my mom! Luckily, it didn't bother Fiona too bad...just a small cough and that was it. I thought it was just allergies and stupidly was way too kissy with the babies. Ive learned my lesson and won't be doing that again if I feel bad. I hope the treatment for the granuloma works! I had one on my finger many years ago and had to have it surgically removed.

MalPal - so sorry to hear about your grandfather :( Love and prayers to you and your family.

If there is a 2nd time, I bet it will be much better since you'll know what to expect. Glad to hear you are feeling better. It's tough when they are so small especially if they are fussy or whiney like Fiona. God, she is such a whiney baby. I'm not sure if it's gas or what. She has issues going potty...not constipated but as the pediatrician said, some babies have issues because they are still learning how to do it. We have to help her go every once in a while. It's gotten slowly better as she used to scream each time. Fussy babies are utterly exhausting. She has been a mess all day and I've lost my patience more than once. But Oliver is my laid back man...so chill. He will just sit in his rocker and watch TV without whining. He just loses his mind when he is hungry...tears and all! I got my first period last week and it wasn't horrible. It was medium flow but for about 5 days, which is a day or 2 longer than I usually have a heavier flow. I'm on birth control now so hopefully much lighter periods!!!!

I have no idea when I will return to work. Still no daycares lined up. I'm so over this!

pbc910

Reply by MrsZero » Jan. 27, 2016 7:26am

Hi ladies,

malpal - im sorry to hear about your grandfather, lots of love and hugs.

constipation is quite common with babies, Christopher has had it quite badly, to the point wher he pooped some blood :( but im hoping we are over that now. I did youtube some videos on tummy massages and that seems to be helping. If baby sweats alot (because of multiple clothing layers or summer etc) it can make them dehydrate very quickly, i've learnt that from all 3 babies.

If you have more children, you will find it MUCH easier honestly, and you will wonder why you ever freaked out first time around lol. But every baby is different too, ive experianced unique things with each child, but the basis of having a baby and routine etc is still the same, you just know what to do 2nd time around.

pbc - sending you find a daycare vibes, it must be very annoying trying to find somewhere.

afm - I havent had a period yet, im not even sure I can remember when I had my first ones after the other kids. I did (tmi alert) bleed after sex, and I havent had that before, I guess its to do with how badly I tore. So sex is off the menu for a while lol

big hugs all around, I hope all the other mummies are well if you're reading this xx

MrsZero

Reply by pbc910 » Jan. 30, 2016 5:53am

Hey ladies -

MrsZero - I didn't bleed after sex but it was very uncomfortable! I am getting some spotting on and off so who knows what's going on. Could be my birth control, could be my period still.

AFM, we might have found a daycare. My husband's company services their fire alarms and they were willing to maybe consider discount. It isn't super close and the drive would be a little out of my way but my husband says they are amazing so I don't mind a 10-15 minute drive. At least it's right off the highway. Twins are good. Early this week went well but Fiona is being SUPER duper fussy. It's pretty much wake up, eat, play for about 1 minute or sit on my lap and then she has a breakdown...cries and cries until she peaks and screams then starts calming down. We've tried everything and we are thinking she is colicky. My mom said I was the same way at this age except I cried for hours. We figure it's just a combo of her age and her tummy having to work so hard. My mom said at my age and being premature the pediatrician said my intestines were working overtime causing me major discomfort. Both babies strain terribly to pass gas. Her crying is very exhausting and frustrating and she does it at most for 15 minutes at a time. I can't imagine if she cried for hours. She did better today but her dad, when getting out of her swing, tripped on the cat and she grazed the floor with her face (luckily he had hold of her body). Her eye is red and swollen and we called the doctor and they said just wait until tomorrow that it didn't sound like an emergency. I, being a new mom, was super paranoid. She is acting fine and is actually less fussy. Other than that, they've slept crappy overnight the past 2 nights. They did sleep for almost 4 hours yesterday during the day (of course when I WASN'T tired!) and had good naps today so we will see how tonight goes. It's 1am almost and both are wide awake. SIGH! I'm going to get their tummy full and then put them in the wrap and walk around to get them to sleep. Hopefully it works!

By the way, I am now down a total of 64 pounds! I haven't been this weight in well over 5+ years!

pbc910

Reply by MalPal85 » Jan. 30, 2016 3:47pm

Thanks for the condolences ladies! Yesterday was a long day with the calling hours, funeral and celebration of life afterwards.

MrsZero - Be glad you haven't gotten a period yet, lol. It's brutal lol. Mine is pretty much gone now but it was bad for a day or two.

Pbc - Sorry Fiona is fussy. Colton has been the same way. I feel like when he's full, changed and burped (and not sleeping) he's only happy for about 5 minutes then he's fussy. We are going to be switching his formula from the Enfamil Newborn to the Enfamil Gentlease and see if that helps as he struggles to pass gas as well. He grunts and his face turns all red lol. Do you let her kinda cry it out sometimes? I'm not sure if they are too young for that or not.

AFM, My 6 week PP appointment went well. She said everything is healed and I'll be back on birth control (the pill as I can't handle anything being shoved up there, lol).
Colton is doing well and growing like a weed. For the past two nights he has slept through the night which was amazing. Last night he slept from 10:30 to 7 and I still can't believe it. He's had a busy last few days though with all my family being home for the funeral.

MalPal85

Reply by miniray » Feb. 1, 2016 8:39pm

Holy crap, has it really been a month? I didn't mean to be away for so long.... We've been so busy getting used to having Christopher at home, I've barely had time to myself. Looks like I've got a lot to catch up on!

MalPal - Really sorry to hear about your grandfather, glad you all had the time to celebrate his life, so many people forget to look at the positive, but I always thought it was so important. I think of all the stories I can tell our little one about the great-grandparents he'll never get to meet and it always makes me smile :-) Colton looks like he's growing well, I love that little grumpy face he makes, our little one does the same!

pbc - I'm in awe of how amazing a job you're doing with the twins, loving all the photos on FB too :-) Sorry Fiona is fussy, is it usually in the evening? I was just thinking maybe it was colic? We were told they just have to grow out of it, but I'm not sure I can cope with it for 3 more months....

MrsZero - sounds like all is well with you guys too, sorry you've all been ill again, that's really sucky....

afm - I was lucky enough to have BF home for the first 3 weeks to help while I was recovering from my c-section, but I still managed to overdo it and nearly popped a stitch! I also trapped a nerve in my shoulder, so I had a very frustrating few days of extra recovery, I totally lost it pretty much every day for a week, not good. We've actually found it easier to start working on a routine since BF went back to work, as we're getting up at the same time every day. I'm still having to take it easy as I've now got a small hole on one side of my incision mark - the Doc says it's over the knot in my stitches and will fix itself, but it was still quite worrying to find. Christopher has had a few fussy days, which we think were growth spurts, he was constantly hungry and didn't want to be left alone, it was difficult but we managed between us. We haven't got round to sex yet, mainly because I'm still bleeding a little but also because of the hole in my scar. I'm still pumping, and getting around 16oz a day, which makes me feel like a champion :-) I've been working on increasing my supply, but it's not easy. It does have it's advantages though, as I've lost 4Kg more than I gained, hopefully the trend will continue a bit longer! I'm back into my regular clothes, but I still have the jelly belly. I'm allowed to start gentle exercise this week so I can start working on that. Hopefully the weather will start to improve so we can start going for walks. I'm going out with Chris alone for the first time tomorrow, fingers crossed we don't have any problems, like nappy explosions!

miniray

Reply by pbc910 » Feb. 1, 2016 10:24pm

miniray - that's great that you are having luck with breastfeeding and that you were able to lose the weight! I had a hole open up along my incision but it was just superficial and closed within a couple days. My incision seemed to be very lumpy and taking forever to heal and then just suddenly it got much better and is basically flat and now just a scar. Not sure if you had this issue but I had to put a towel or tissue over it because if I didn't, my belly fat would hang over it, sweat, and cause a funky smell. It's gross but it went away. I guess all babies have their fussy days. I am so glad one of mine is chill and only fusses when hungry! Oh and poop explosions are inevitable! I've had a couple, although not in public. Still gross. You haven't lived until you've been peed on multiple times and have poop on you!!!! It's scary taking the baby out for the first time alone but it gets easier. I've now been regularly taking the babies out alone and they are much better in their car seats than they used to be. It no longer stresses me and I actually like getting out of the house with them!

MalPal - totally jealous of you! I don't feel like these kids will ever sleep through. I hope he continues to do it because that would be amazing! By the way, these kids still have gas issues on Gentlease but it's better than when they were on the regular formula. We use Parent's Choice Gentle (Walmart version of Enfamil) and we like it but if I only had one, I'd just use Enfamil as it does give them less poopy issues. I do let Fiona cry it out if nothing will soothe her only because nothing works. Usually she gets to screaming and then calms down, mostly with the help of a pacifier. I hate to have her be like that but nothing I do helps EXCEPT she will calm down ONLY when we play the song "What Does the Fox Say." So weird!

I honestly don't know how I am caring for 2 babies. I just do it I guess. Fiona is really testing my patience. She had an appointment on Sat morning to get her eye looked at and my husband mentioned how she goes crazy about 15 minutes after eating and the doctor prescribed her Zantac for possible acid reflux. I dont think thats it...I think she gets crazy because she is tired and cannot settle herself like her brother can. We've been giving it to her for a couple days with no change. At this point her breakdowns are expected, last only a couple minutes, and we can deal with it. It just sucks. Went to my brother's house on Sat and she pretty much was whiney the whole time. I hope she grows out of it! It's extremely exhausting!

We might have a daycare lined up. Waiting for space to open. I am hoping to do part time for a couple weeks then do full time! Prayers or good vibes they get 2 openings for us in 2 or so weeks!

pbc910