Log In | Sign Up Now | Help & Support

Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

January 2015 Babies Club! - Page 32

Replies (642)

Reply by prinder » Jan. 11, 2015 2:49pm

I still need to get photos up onto my computer, so sorry for delays in announcing. It's been a fun few days getting adjusted, but to explain: as of 10:09PM GMT on the 7th of January 2015, I gave birth to one Evander. Both of us are well and as soon as I can figure out which way is up, there will be much sharing and story-telling and... yeah, you fill in the blanks, we have a baby! xD

Posts: 156

Reply by shelob » Jan. 11, 2015 4:29pm

yay yay yay finally! :) Looking forward to hearing your story!!

Posts: 87

Reply by Chestnutroast » Jan. 12, 2015 4:31pm

yay prinder all of us oldsters to this jan group have welcomed our babies now it seems.
now we have new ladies waiting I see.

my little piglet was weighed today during his first meeting with his health visitor and was 9lbs 5oz.

i have a bit of an infection in my wound but I'm cleaning it daily so hopefully it will go soon,can't do much when your belly is hanging over in inside your big granny knickers.

Posts: 197

Reply by prinder » Jan. 12, 2015 9:50pm

Chestnutroast, what a mental image you gave me. points for keeping your sense of humour, but man that has got to be painful!

As promised, I have some story-telling to do:

Cue the flashback WaVe~~~

On the 6th I started to get contractions at around 8PM that night. After having so many false starts, I wasn't about to go running to the A&E so soon this time and convinced myself to try to sleep it off and see if they were still going in the morning.

Only, they never really tapered off and so, in the wee hours of the morning, DH and I went to the hospital to see how far along I was... 2cm only so they gave me a TENS machine and told me to tough it out some more.

The machine was simple in operation, but the midwife told me that it only went up to "8 in intensity," a lie for which I was both amused and grateful for as the day rolled on. To me, the morning passed slowly, but when the afternoon hit, the contractions got harder and stronger so BACK to the hospital we went, thinking we must have been getting really close now...

Nope, still 2cm. They gave us some relaxation techniques, instructions for getting the baby to roll itself so that it would lay on my left-hand side (which it never did) and told me to tough it out some more.

The afternoon hit and things were not getting any easier. The TENS unit was now firmly set at 14 in intensity. I'm pretty sure that, without it, I would have died from the pain - partly because I accidentally turned it off at one point and I swear I saw the pearly gates.

At this point, I was at the end of my rope and DH had his evening cleaning jobs to do. I told him I couldn't keep doing this without any help and he asked me if I could wait three more hours (until he finished his work). Apparently the look I gave him was more than enough to convince him that the answer was a firm "No" and, thankfully, SIL stepped up and offered to cover the cleaning jobs for him so he could stay with me at the hospital. Had she not, he would have been forced to drop me off and come back later.

So we get there and I'm thinking, after all of this yo-yoing, I'm probably something stupid like 4cm, but they pull me into a room and check me out and... BOOM 10cm, no waiting. I get some gas and air shoved into my mouth, the tub is filled up, and 1 hour and 10 minutes later I've pushed out a baby. The whole process taking a little over 2 hours total.

While it worked out well in the end, lemme just say that I do not recommend "toughing it out" all the way to 10cm on your own. Sure there are people who have done it, and will do it again... I'm not one of them.

So we have Evander, all 8+ pounds of him, and a second degree tear that happened despite my best efforts. Honestly, it worries me when the midwives are impressed by something.

Anyway, we were discharged at 6AM the following morning, tired as all get out, got home and thankfully managed to sleep for three hours. The rest is history from there.

Breastfeeding is going really well. Evander was weighed yesterday and he's only lost 4% of his total bodyweight so far.

One final note: my water didn't even break until the baby's head was out. Literally, it was one of those super rare births where the sack is partially delivered in a solid piece. It didn't break until the head was out and then everything exploded and came out all at once. MIL can take her "everybody's the same" mentality and kiss my butt.

Tah dah!

Posts: 156

Reply by Runnermama » Jan. 14, 2015 8:45pm

Prinder, I love you story! What a great experience! And yes, your mother in law, can kiss your butt! Love it!! I am also super in love with his name!

My birth story: I gave a few short updates, but here is the full length version up to today.

I went into labor on January 3rd, about 4 in the morning, during the snowstorm/blizzard. I woke up my husband and told him I was contracting again. He asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital that was about 20 minutes closer, where I delivered my fist son. I said, no I would rather deliver at home! I did not have a good experience there...anyways...so we had no way to get out of our yard because of all the snow, and I didn't even know if our van would start. I told my hubs I would take a shower and see if they go away. (with all my false alarms I figured they would stop) So, I showered and they didn't really change. Crawled back into bed with snoring hubs and figured screw it. They were about 10 minutes apart at this time.

At around 8 am I called the hospital and talked to an OB nurse. She suggested waiting until they were closer together/stronger. Since the roads were not good on their end. The plows had been out in our town, but they do not keep up with the plowing in the town where my hospital is. So, to keep my mind off of having contractions I cleaned the kitchen, scrubbed the floors, did the laundry, and packed our bags (again) and the kids' bags.

Around 10 am we all went across the road to my MIL for coffee and some added distractions! Contractions were about 6 minutes apart by then, but not "stronger"...so I took the kids home at noon, fed them and put the little one down for a nap. The nurse told me to nap if possible. Not possible! Once my little one woke up from his nap we called my MIL and had her come over to watch the kids since my contractions had not stopped and they were anywhere from 6 to 7 minutes apart. By the time we got to the hospital at 5:00 they were getting very strong and about 2-4 minutes apart. They checked me and I was between 3 and 4cm dilated. The doctor came in and suggested that if I were getting an epidural that I order that right away. He broke my water and left. (he actually went home to help his wife with their little one since she wasn't feeling good) he said let the nurse know as soon as I felt any pelvic pressure. I went from 4 to 7 cm in under an hour. The epidural was given around 7pm and from there I went from 7cm to 10 cm in under an hour.

At that point the nurse called the doctor, it was 8:15. He had said he needed 10 minutes to get there. Leo was born at 8:23. I gave two weak pushes with just the nurses to help feed the need to push. They were getting very nervous, my husband said his head was on its way out when the doctor walked in. He said he had the most surprised look on his face! He hardly had time to sit on the edge of the bed and put his gloves on. There was no time to break down the birthing bed, he was born on the bed! Two pushes once the doctor got ready. He weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces! Oh, and it was 25 degrees below zero outside! SOOOO COLD! It was that cold the whole week! He weighed 6 lb 10 oz when we were discharged. We had a nurse visit us at the house on monday this week and he was up to 7lb 5 oz so he is gaining! Tomorrow is his 2 week appointment already, I will update when we get back!

So glad to hear everyone has had healthy babies!! Good luck to those that have just recently joined us! It is such a blessing!

Posts: 106

Reply by Mmkohl » Jan. 15, 2015 1:30am

Congratulations to all on their little ones. I've been boycotting this site for awhile since I wrote a big response on here about a week and a half back and it didn't post.... Made me mad!

Prinder I'm not a religious person but I'm gonna throw up a lot of prayers for you and that tear! Ouch! I feel your pain.

So breast feeding is going as good as it can right now. Found out at Declan's 2 week check up that breast feeding shouldn't be painful! And here I've been crying through it as my ta tas were getting tore up. Turns out Declan has a posterior tongue tie and an upper lip tie. Pretty much means he can't flip his lip up or lift his tongue or move it side to side. So he can't latch properly and pretty much bites and sucks extra hard in order to eat. He was up to 7lbs so he is gaining and grew 1.25 inches since birth. I'm glad I complained about my pain or we wouldn't have found out about his tongue until much later. There is only one specialist in Michigan that performs tie releases and she is across the state and only does them one day a week. I had to take pictures of his mouth and email them to her in order to even set up an appointment. We go the 29th for his procedure. It isn't supposed to hurt and is done with a laser. Afterwards we will have to do tongue excersises with him to teach him to latch properly and will meet with the lactation consultant again. Hopefully it helps as I would love to continue to breast feed but without the pain. Right now I'm pumping inbetweenso feeds to keep my supply up. (He sleeps a lot because of the extra work it takes him to eat he gets tired fast) and using a nipple shield when he feeds to save my nipples! Can't wait til I'm done using it.

Still getting things settled here from the holidays. Will try and update more when possible and get on the laptop to post pics!

Posts: 106

Reply by Chestnutroast » Jan. 17, 2015 1:01am

hows every one getting on.
I've had an infection in my wound but seem to have rectified it by washing and cleaning with salt water and salt baths.
finally a midwife got the missed stitch out and we no longer will be getting any more visits from them.

As for my tiny man he was weighing in at 9lbs 14oz

I'm glad that side of things are over cause it should of been my last one on wednesday but she hardly knocked and missed her while i laid on the sofa waiting,I could of cried on the phone after missing her cause i was wanting my wound looking at and wanting the visits over.
I'm alright now though

Posts: 197

Reply by prinder » Jan. 19, 2015 4:24pm

Hi all!

Everything is going well, more or less, here. again to everyone on their bouncing bundles of no-sleep/joy.

I'm perhaps a touch emotional these days; things have been getting to me in an extreme (see: crying) way that they wouldn't otherwise, I think.

Still getting the hang of breastfeeding; my nipples are rather chewed up and raw at the moment but they are recovering at last... now I just need a solution to the hyper-sensitivity in my areola (feels like the whole area is being stabbed by needles when they're touched or feel a sudden change in temperature) and I'll finally be happy.

I did get a small scare a couple of nights in a row where Evander simply latched onto one boob and refused to move... all night long. First it was one side one night, and then it other side the next night. I wasn't convinced he was even eating; just latching and holding, though he must have been because he certainly had enough wet/soiled nappies/diapers to show for it - which was the only reason I wasn't calling the midwives in a panic.

My poor DH, though, by the time all this was said and done, I was shattered and I almost beat him while he slept (because, how DARE he sleep, you know what I mean?). It wasn't until last night that he decided to stop trolling me - so of course it was at the point where I had the hand-pump set up beside the bed in case he skipped feeds again.

The stitches seem to be healing nicely; they don't hurt anymore, though I'm still feeling... awkward... down there. So there's that.

We finally are getting to see the actual Health Visitor today for the first time; prior to this point it's only been the Midwives that have come around, which is quite unusual I hear. Long story short is that we must have slipped through a crack somewhere and only now were we rediscovered. Oh well.

So that's how I've been getting on; how about everyone else? [smile}

Posts: 156

Reply by shelob » Jan. 29, 2015 8:39pm

Prinder I've had James do the attaching and refusing to move thing for 3-4 hours a few times now. After that he will then want to be fed every couple of hours for a while. It always accompanies a growth spurt. It is absolutely exhausting, I know!!! Nowadays we often get 2-3 hours sleep and sometimes even more at a time! I feel amazing after that. Last night we had some good sleeps, but the first one started too early for me to take advantage of. I am going out this morning (meeting up with other new mums I met on a course) so I haven't gone back to bed (have had various things to get organised).

I can't remember if I told my birth story. I know I was too tired to write it out at the time but it is too hard to troll through past posts to find if I ended up actually doing it. Let me know if I didn't and if you are interested! If I did tell it then great :)

I went to the doctor about my diabetes issues yesterday. I still have a problem - glucose tolerance impairment". There is nothing that can be done about it, I just have to keep up with my good diet and exercise (I need more of that I think). Any of you worked out ways of getting time to do that? I don't want to wake James to go for a walk so would have to go right after a feed. So that limits things as that might be right when I need lunch, or I might be exhausted and need a sleep too, or it might be too early or late and therefore a bit cool for him. Just before I got pregnant I had started an exercise regime using the wii and I am thinking of getting back into that. It is pretty tough so I had stopped when I found out I was expecting a baby. I always overheated and had a really really high heart rate (I am not fit!)

Posts: 87

Reply by Runnermama » Feb. 3, 2015 10:37pm

I just started back at my gym yesterday! I missed it! I wait until my hubs is home and leave the kids with him for an hour. My little one has slept three nights from 10pm to 3 or 330 and then again from 330 until 7 or 730, its been heaven!

Posts: 106

Reply by prinder » Feb. 4, 2015 3:00pm

@shelob Evander appears to be doing it more for comfort than for food - we took the chance and tried giving him a dummy/pacifier. My nipples were dying a slow and painful death from how often it was happening (basically every feed). I was having a real hard time keeping up with demand before, but hopefully it will be easier now.

I did look back in the forum - you did sort of tell you birth story, but it was over several posts as things happened so reading it all again might clarify things a little.

@Runnermama, wow, that's awesome! I think we've gotten lucky with sleeping baby - Evander usually sleeps from midnight to 6am, only during growth spurts does this child wake more often for feeds. Its great that you're getting back into the swing of things: I still consider myself lucky if I can get a shower in during the day!

So lets be honest and brag a little: what are the most awesome things you've learned about your babies so far? Aaaaannnd, because it would be a lie not to mention it; what are the not-so-awesome bits?

for me, awesome is the fact that sometimes Evander will giggle in his sleep. Less awesome: he bites when he's nursing.

Posts: 156

Reply by shelob » Feb. 9, 2015 5:41pm

Here's my full length birth story if anyone cares to read it :)

At 33 weeks 2 days pregnant while out shopping I suddenly started having regular contractions. I thought Braxton Hicks, but started to get mildly worried after I timed them at 5 minutes apart for an hour. I tried to ignore them and kept busy for another couple of hours before finally calling my midwife. She told me to go to the hospital. They found my contractions showing up nicely on the CTG looking suspiciously like labour. They did a fetal fibronectin test and it was positive. So, they flew into action. I had the first steroid injection (ow!!!), antibiotics, and nifedipine to stop the contractions which were getting stronger. It must have worked as they stopped coming so regularly and I was moved out of delivery and onto a ward where I stayed for four days. Had to quit work obviously but was allowed home on bed rest. All was good for another week until suddenly I started contracting 3 minutes apart. Waited until they had been happening for 4 hours before calling my midwife. Back into hospital. This time they didn't try to stop them, but they slowed and became irregular. Back to the ward. A couple of days later they ramped up again. This time with incredible back pain. Back to delivery. This time 1.5 minutes apart, soooooo painful. Laboured for four hours, midwife certain I was in established labour. She wasn't going to even do a VE she was that sure. I was in such agony and it was no longer letting up between contractions so she felt my uterus and discovered that along with my super strong, close contractions my uterus wasn't actually relaxing. So she did a VE to check on progress. There was none! We were all shocked. Eventually they decided to give me nifedipine again as I was exhausted and those contractions were not good for the baby. I also got sleeping tablets and painkillers. The next morning the contractions were back to slightly irregular and mild. So, back to the ward. After another few days in which I had sporadic back pain and contractions consistently, I had another night of agonising back pain. So bad I couldn't lie down comfortably in any position. Standing and sitting were also agony. And I was exhausted. The midwife was not helpful, barely sympathetic Just kept pushing codeine on me. I didnn't want it as is suppresses respiratory funtion and my baby was already at risk. Eventually a doctor saw me and persuaded me to have it as "you aren't going to give birth in the next 6 hours" during which time it would be mostly broken down. Out of options, I accepted it. Three hours later my waters broke (at 35 weeks 5 days). Flooded the ward room (fortunately private!) The midwife (a different one on now fortunately) whisked me away to a delivery room yet again. The offered me an epidural (which I had been planning to try and avoid) and I accepted right away. I was already absolutely exhausted having not slept in over 24 hours, and not very week for the couple of weeks leading up to this. I didn't have the energy do deal with the pain anymore. But the drama wasn't over. A couple of hours later the baby's heart rate dropped really low. They stopped the syntocinin which they had been giving me to speed up the labour due to fetal distress. The heart rate recovered and shot up too high. It stayed there a good 20 minutes so everyone changed into scrubs and I signed forms to agree to an emergency cesarean section. Baby was distressed and needed to come out. Then, just as I was about to be wheeled out, the heart rate dropped to normal and we were back to vaginal delivery. After another few hours (felt really short apart from me being thirsty and they wouldn't give me any water as we could still end up with a c-section) the epidural no longer seemed to be working. They got the anesthetist in and he gave me a stronger dose. I told him it was just saline solution for all it was achieving! Then shortly after I felt like the baby was about to fall out, so told them. They decided to do another VE earlier than intended and found I was 10cm dilated! Apparently that is why the epidural stopped being effective, my pain levels would have been way too high during transition, which we all missed! Anyway the time came to push so I started. And then the next drama unfolded. I developed an excruciating pain in my piriformis muscle round the hip/buttock area. The worst pain I have ever experienced. Epidural did nothing for it. I couldn't push through it, could barely bear the pain. Apparently it was caused by something pinching a nerve. After 30min of no pushing I realised I had to get the baby out or it would die. So, I experimented and found I could compartmentalise the pain if I lay on my side and had my husband push on the affected muscle. And I pushed. I kept pushing regardless of contractions as that kept me focused and I could avoid letting the pain take me over again. Finally, the baby was out. But we weren't out of the woods. He was blue and didn't breathe or move. He just had a heartbeat. I was told to tickle him and to my immense relief he gasped! I was so overwhelmed with relief. Then there was the minor issue of a post partum hemorrhage and hours of being sewn up. But I didn't care about that, my son was out and alive :)

Posts: 87

Reply by shelob » Feb. 9, 2015 5:54pm

I love your idea for the anecdotes!

Awesome thing: how he can stare into my eyes for for ages like I am the most important person in the whole world.

Not so awesome: when he decides bed is not for him and screams when I put him down.

I am feeling great today. James slept almost 5 hours in one go last night for the third time. Prinder I am jealous of your 6 hours! We haven't reached that length yet. His night sleeps get progressively shorter as the night wears on. The night before last was hard. 3 hour sleep, then 2, then 0.75. I much preferred last night with 4.9 hours then 2.5 :)

I have a new mums group on today We are going to learn how to do baby massage. Looking forward to that! I love having a few different groups to get together with.

Posts: 87

Reply by prinder » Feb. 14, 2015 6:22pm

@shelob, Thanks so much for sharing your story. We did miss a lot of information about everything that happened! I'm so happy that James was okay; what a thing to experience! again on giving birth.

I wouldn't be so jealous; Evander sleeping longer stretches just means that he sleeps but, if I want to keep up my milk production, I still have to wake up and express at 2 and 4 AM. It was also a short-lived thing, too; the past week or so he's been up at Midnight, 2AM, 4AM, 6AM and then 9AM for his feeds. so much for that, huh? In exchange he's sleeping for four-hour stretches during the day. drat it.

New awesome thing: He's starting to use his hands to reach for me.

Not-so-awesome: He's wide awake at 10PM and wants to play.

Posts: 156

Reply by shelob » Feb. 15, 2015 5:57pm

Thanks Prinder. The pregnancy and birth were rather an epic journey!

So, new awesome thing for us: James laughed!!!

Not so awesome: Three times he fed for over an hour and screamed blue murder if we tried to extract him. Growth spurt methinks.

Looking forward to weighng on Thursday!!!

Oh my goodness I just had one of those mornings... First I had forgotten to do my bra up properly after the last feed, and so milk soaked through a big patch on James' outfit while I was feeding the other side. Then, he had a big spill while changing him and wiped it up himself with his sleeve. To add insult to injury, he did a giant wee in the second the nappy was off which soaked his singlet. So, a complete change was needed.

Posts: 87

Reply by Chestnutroast » Feb. 15, 2015 7:03pm

Hi there,not coming on much now and there seems to be bugs with this site since having baby J.
he's 12lbs 9.5oz when weighed on friday 13th.

I've started the great long challenge of losing 41lbs,only gained 19 from the pregnancy but I'm huge people and that fat arse needs to get smaller before next winter,my tummy doesn't bother me as it's only been 6 weeks and it took a year for it to go down after having my daughter.

we are all just happy and getting on with life now, and Baby J is getting smothered with kisses from his sister.

no health visitor home visits now till he's 1 as i don't need help with weaning,still got to get my own 6-8 wk check booked and an odd couple bits of paper work sorted related to baby js exsitence.

makes me feel all fuzzy looking back at my bump picures and was supprised how few pictures had followed ours since having the bubs,mostly in the later months.

Posts: 197

Reply by prinder » Feb. 19, 2015 1:25pm

@Chestnutroast, Baby J seems to be growing nicely. Evander was weighed yesterday: 10 pounds and 14 ounces, I was very pleased. After much back and forth and waiting games, he's also finally discharged from the care of the Midwives. The weigh in coincided with our 6-8week visit from the Health Visitor. Though we'll have to schedule for the 6 month visit to go over the weaning stuff.

We were lucky and were able to register his birth shortly after he was born, but that was likely made easier only because we're close to the city where the registry office is. The next thing for us to do is actually get him his proof of dual citizenship (basically he'll have two passports), though we haven't set aside a particular date for that yet.

@Shelob, Wow, what a day that must have been! Evander is inconsolable when he's still hungry, and in the worst way possible, so I can easily imagine how James' was with you. Hopefully that growth spurt passes quickly.

I'm slowly getting to grips with leaking boobs and the feedings associated with them. It was madness last week because I was just constantly drenching my tops. It was only a day or so ago that I got around to googling ways to control it - for the most part, applying pressure to my nipples when I feel the milk reaching capacity has helped; only one drenched top yesterday as apposed to half a dozen.

New Awesome Thing: Evander is awake more during the day and now we're getting to play with him; he really likes being tipped upside down.

Not-so-awesome: OMG the shrieks he makes when he's Hangry (Hungry+Angry). It sends me off the deep-end, I swear, and it's always at its worst once 8PM hits because that's when my supply starts to taper off.

Posts: 156

Reply by Runnermama » Apr. 8, 2015 2:54pm

Hello ladies,
So, I am back for some support, I hope someone is checking their accounts! I am exclusively breastfeeding AND running up to five miles at a crack-about three times a week...we have had sex only ONCE and it was after my first "real" cycle (i think) any who...now I am ELEVEN days late...I googled breastfeeding as a form of "birth control" and it said that there is only a 5% chance of conceiving while breastfeeding before establishing a regular period. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES WE HIT THAT 5%?!?!?!? I told my husband I'm late and he seems EXCITED...I am TERRIFIED! lol...it will all work out in the end, but holy babies batman, I don't know if I am ready for round 4 yet. We were planning on a fourth, but not for 3 years...Happy Wednesday, I hope someone is out there still checking this forum!!

Posts: 106

Reply by Runnermama » Apr. 11, 2015 4:43pm

Update for anyone still following. Negative test this morning! A little sad, but relieved we won't have to figure out daycare for 3, yet. My husband told me he was secretly hoping I was! He loves his babies and his big kid! It makes me feel happy that I know he wants one more too! Eventually!

Posts: 106

Reply by Ladysg » Apr. 18, 2015 10:36am

@Runnermom Sorry to hear the test was negative. Perhaps your body is still trying to get back in tune. Hope we hear good news soon!

Posts: 82