Log In | Sign Up Now | Help & Support

Message Me | Follow Me
Joined Jul. 11, 2015 7:05pm

Sailorswife's Pregnancy

My Due Date: March 22, 2016
I have given birth!
Age: 39 years old

View All My Journal Entries

My Journal

Birth story -It's long-
By Sailorswife » Posted Apr. 16, 2016 1:08am - 572 views - 0 comments

My birthing story:

Wednesday March 30th in the early evening I started having contractions that were strong and coming quickly, but only lasting 10-30 seconds. Even though they were coming so close together, we waited out going for about an hour, but then the contractions were coming 3 mins apart and were unbearable, even though they were still only lasting 30 seconds, so we headed to the Birthing center. The drive there was awful! I thought I was going to give birth in the car. My husband was driving as fast as he could to get me there, but it was all city streets and we kept hitting red lights. He got us there in about 20 minutes, which is fast. When we got checked in they thought she'd be delivered in an hour or so, but unfortunately that is not how it unfolded. I labored in the tub for an hour and progressed to 5cm, then got on a birthing ball and opened to 7cm. This is where things stalled. There was a "lip" in my uterus that the baby was having a problem getting past, within a half hour, I started to feel the urge to push, so the Midwife told me to go ahead to see if it would get the baby past the lip. Instead I became swollen and my cervix began to swell shut. I was very tired at this point and the contractions were coming one after another, so the swelling just kept increasing. The decision was made to wheel me to labor and delivery and be given an epidural to help the swelling in my cervix. There went my med free delivery. Within 20 minutes of getting the epidural, I had progressed to fully dialated, but baby was still stuck behind the swollen lip. The pushing began, after about two hours or so, she had barely budged and her heart rate had dropped dangerously. She was too high to get with a vacuum, so a surgeon was called in to assess. By the time she got there, baby's heart had stopped a few times, so she had me rushed to the OR for an emergency Csection. I was in tears and just kept apologizing to my husband, my doulas and my midwife. I had failed, and now was facing my worst nightmare, having a Csection or losing my baby. I was prepped with extreme hurry, my husband was let in and baby Clara entered the world within five minutes of the procedure, weighing 7lbs. 12oz. After cleaning her off I noticed they were fanning her, so my husband asked what was wrong and we were told she had a fever, and they were going to take her to the nursery to bath her and cool her off. My husband turned to the surgeon to ask how long the Csection should take to finish, and was told 30 mins. He turned to me and said "Do I stay with you or go with the baby?" I told him to go with the baby. Soon after Aaron and Clara left for the nursery, I started hearing the Doctor get frantic about my cervix and bladder. She thought they had nicked my bladder when making the incision, so she had a nurse call the nursery to send formula to the OR (they filled my bladder with baby formula to see if any would leak out through a hole). Next the Doctor asked a nurse to call a specific Doctor in to help, the nurse informed her that the other Doctor was not on call at the time, and the Doctor replied "I don't care, get him in here now!" At this point I realized something was very wrong. My body began to shake uncontrollably (from the morphine I believe), so the anesthesiologist covered my upper body with warm blankets. Soon after I began to feel very tired, I tried to will myself to stay awake, but must have passed out, because I soon felt hands shaking my shoulders and a man's voice say "Breathe!" I took a deep breath and could hear the heart monitor start to speed up. I guess when I passed out, I stopped breathing and my heart rate would drop quickly. This happened three separate times. At this point, I looked up at the anesthesiologist and asked him if I was going to be okay, if I was going to make it? (Rest of story in continued journal)

Comments for this Journal Entry

No comments yet. Be the first!

You must be logged in to post a comment. Log In or Sign Up