Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Countdown is On - End of July/Beginning August Babies

Category: Trimesters - Third Trimester
Posted by NewBeginnings79 » Jul. 2, 2012 3:19pm

Hi Ladies - Now that I'm just about 36 weeks (as of tomorrow) and there's just 4 weeks left til the big day, my mind is consumed with thoughts of meeting my new little girl, wondering (and worrying a bit) how labor and delivery will go, and obsessing over possible signs that my body is getting ready for baby's birth! Looking for other ladies to obsess with for the next few weeks... join me here!

User Image

User Image

NewBeginnings79

Replies (117)

Reply by babylove14 » Jul. 2, 2012 11:06pm

Hi, I'm 36wks and 1 day. I am having a boy and am already 25% effaced so hopefully he won't make me wait too long. Congrats on your baby girl!!

babylove14

Reply by NewBeginnings79 » Jul. 3, 2012 1:07am

@babylove.... Congrats on your baby boy! And that is so exciting that you are already 25% effaced already... In my child birth classes they said this is sometimes a better indicator than dilation. I get my first check on Thursday, I am hoping that my doc tells me there's some signs of dilation or effacement....I know that women can be dilated for weeks, but I will feel comforted knowing my body is beginning to do what it needs to to get ready, so we'll see.

Have you been having Braxton Hicks. I have had them very rarely throughout the pregnancy, but the other morning they came on pretty good, and we're about 10 mins apart, but stopped after about an hour. It was a good wake up call though, made me realize I need to get my butt in gear and get some things done!

NewBeginnings79

Reply by wassernixe » Jul. 3, 2012 12:15pm

I'm 35 weeks (and 1 day). I am getting so nervous and excited to meet our little guy.

- Babylove, I am so jealous that you are already effaced. I hope you're right and he doesn't make you wait too long! :)

- NewBeginnings, I am still waiting on those Braxton-Hicks to show up!

Like I said, my body doesn't feel like it's doing anything to prepare for labor. It's weird. All I have to show for being in the 3rd trimester are stretch marks and achy hips. Not one episode of Braxton-Hicks yet.

At my 34 week check up my cervix was still 4cm thick! I feel like he's probably going to stay in there for a while and I am just dreading being overdue. Ugh.

All I can do is prepare though. I ordered some raspberry leaf tea to help tone my uterus. And I bought a special oil for perineal massage. Anyone else doing this to help prevent tearing in labor? I read that you're supposed to start about a month before delivery.

User Image

User Image

wassernixe

Reply by NewBeginnings79 » Jul. 3, 2012 5:47pm

Hi @wassernixe! We're getting so close! I'm sure it's frustrating to not feel like your body is doing anything to get ready - but like they say, every pregnancy is different. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones that sails right through labor and delivery, passing through all the stages so quickly. You're body's just saving it up for the big day :)

You're the second person that's mentioned raspberry leaf tea - I'm not a tea drinker, but I think I'm going to have to give it a try. I didn't realize all the benefits it could have.

I'm not doing the oil for massage, but I have been religious about doing kegel exercises lately!! It's a good thing to do when I wake up at night and have trouble falling back to sleep. Hoping this will help avoid some tearing.

What's everyone planning for their birth. I'm giving birth at the hospital, which is conveniently less than a mile from our home. My goal is to go drug-free, but I am such a wimp sometimes, so I am totally not opposed to drugs if that's what my body needs. I'm hoping to stay open-minded and positive throughout it. At this point, I'm actually more excited than nervous, but once it gets closer, I'm sure the nerves will kick in a bit more.

NewBeginnings79

Reply by danni179 » Jul. 4, 2012 9:46am

I'm 37w+5d and I've had strong braxton hicks for the last 3 weeks...but it made me finalise everything and now i am stress free and sitting and playing the waiting game! midwife seems to think i wont reach my due date as baby is huge, but all these false alarms are teasing me! so excited now!

danni179

Reply by NewBeginnings79 » Jul. 4, 2012 1:11pm

@danni.... BH contractions can be such a motivator at this point in pregnancy! That's awesome that you are all ready for your little one to arrive. I am such a procrastinator by nature, but the BH are helping me get my act together. The biggest thing we have left to do is get the wood floors refinished in the nursery... Scheduled for tues, wed next week. Everything else we have to do hinges on getting those floors done - shampooing the carpets in the rest of the house, setting up the crib - well, and the whole nursery for that matter, ha! But feel like we are getting there.

Keep us posted on your progress, sounds like you are getting close!!!!

NewBeginnings79

Reply by sageviolet » Jul. 4, 2012 1:34pm

Our EDD is Aug. 18, so I'm not sure I belong here, but it will be fun to listen to you ladies about what's coming! I've only had maybe 1 BH. I'm not sure it was one. But the little one is head down now! Still facing to the side and hasn't dropped, but we have time. I'm going to start the perianal massages this Sat. when we reach 34 weeks. I'm regularly drinking an infusuion of raspberry leaves, nettle, and a couple of mint leaves for taste. I keep it in the fridge, so it's a nice cold beverage on these hot days. The heat really gets to me and makes my ankles swell.

User Image

User Image

sageviolet

Reply by NewBeginnings79 » Jul. 5, 2012 2:42pm

Welcome @sage! Of course you belong here! Just a place to chat with ladies near the ending of our pregnancies!

I had my first weekly appointment this morning - measuring right on, and 1 cm dilated with baby's head beginning to engage. No thinning as of yet. It was very exciting to hear that things are moving in the right direction though. And, very crazy that doc was able to feel my baby's head!!! (I'm pretty sure that was enough to make my boyfriend not want to have sex with my for the rest of my pregnancy, ha!)

NewBeginnings79

Reply by curl_gurl » Jul. 5, 2012 2:46pm

Is anyone planning on breastfeeding? I plan to breastfeed, I took a breastfeeding and breast pumping class so I think I'm well prepared.

User Image

curl_gurl

Reply by NewBeginnings79 » Jul. 6, 2012 12:42am

Hey @curl ... I am planning to breastfeed for the 3 months I am on maternity leave, and then going to attempt to pump when I go back to work. My pump just arrived today. It's a little underwhelming, I'm not thrilled about the idea of hooking myself up to a pumping machine throughout the work day, but I'm going to try it and see how it goes. That said, if it becomes too much, I have no problem supplementing with formula and breastfeeding at night.

My biggest concern is not being able to breastfeed. My sister-in-law wasn't able to sustain a milk supply, and her children had a very difficult time latching.

I haven't taken any breastfeeding classes, but my pediatrician just gave me a book on it, some I'm going to start reading that this week to be a bit more informed.

Are you planning to breastfeed exclusively? or are you going to supplement with formula?

NewBeginnings79

Reply by inlove » Jul. 6, 2012 1:26am

Hi Ladies!

I'm 35w4d..due Aug. 5th! I really don't think I'll make it that long. This is my 5th baby! (I know lol) we are expecting a girl. She is head down and the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing major pelvic pressure and lots of BH. My OB was a lil worried about my measurements at last visit.. 34w and measured at 31

I've never tried the raspberry tea or the perineal oil..sounds interesting! We are doing the delayed cord cutting this time. I hope to make it drug-free (again) and all natural. I too hope to breastfeed..every baby is different and you never know what complications may occur. But that's the plan..I at least feel better if I try!

First time moms feel free to ask any questions you may have..I've experienced almost everything!

inlove

Reply by curl_gurl » Jul. 6, 2012 3:43pm

@inlove Can you tell me more about the delayed cord cutting, what is that about, what are the benefits?I never heard of this.

Yes, I plan to solely breastfeed and I bought some lactation tea to help increase my milk supply, i will start drinking it immediately after delivering. Also, you can take Fenugreek to increase milk supply.

User Image

curl_gurl

Reply by inlove » Jul. 6, 2012 4:43pm

@curl_gurl - delayed cord clamping just means that instead of the immediate clamping and cutting of the cord..they wait 3-5 minutes (ideally until it stops pulsing).

What are the Benefits of Delayed Clamping?
The benefits of delayed clamping for the baby include a normal, healthy blood volume for the transition to life outside the womb; and a full count of red blood cells, stem cells and immune cells.

For the mother, a delay in cord clamping keeps the mother-baby unit intact and can prevent complications with delivering the placenta.

Studies show delayed cord clamping produces increased vasodilation and perfusion: higher blood pressure, higher hematocrit levels, more optimal oxygen transport and higher red blood cell flow to vital organs, reduced infant anemia and increased duration of breastfeeding. For preterm infants, the benefits also included fewer days on oxygen and ventilation, fewer transfusions, and lower rates of intraventricular hemorrhage and late-onset sepsis.

inlove

Reply by curl_gurl » Jul. 6, 2012 6:38pm

@inlove I'm so glad I'm part of this group b/c I have never heard or read about this before and I have been doing alot of research since being preggers. Thanks for that info very informative, I will speak to my doc about this at my next appointment.

User Image

curl_gurl

Reply by prinny307 » Jul. 7, 2012 1:12am

Hi ladies! I recognize a few names on here! :)

I'm 35 weeks and 2 days, I've been having a lot of Braxton Hicks for the last few weeks, they go away if I change position or lay on my side. I think baby dropped today, the kicks feel lower and there's more pelvic pressure. That being said, he sometimes likes to drop and the next morning he's right back up again, so who knows if he'll stay down this time. I heard that once baby drops for a first time pregnancy, labor usually starts within 4 weeks. And for repeat moms, baby can delay dropping until the moment labor starts.

We are currently searching for a doula- anyone use one before? We're going to try for drug-free labor. This is my first pregnancy, so I have little idea of how I'll manage through labor. I tell myself- women have been giving birth for centuries and the human race has managed just fine. My body was made for this, I trust my body to do what it needs to do. Then again, part of me wants to skip some of the intensity and get an epidural. It's definitely part of the picture. My DH and I have a code word so if I want an epidural or it's just way too much for me to handle, he'll know. We plan to do a lot of walking and squating, lots of showers for nipple stimulation. We have a relaxation CD to play to keep me relaxed. We have a birth ball for assisted squatting to widen the pelvic outlet. Anybody have other suggestions?

For repeat moms- what do you recommend putting in your hospital bag??

What are people doing with the perineal oils? What oil are you using? How often to you massage that in? I'm really worried about tearing and have been doing Kegels, but I'd heard good things about perineal massage too. I'd love to hear what resources people have about that!

prinny307

Reply by wassernixe » Jul. 7, 2012 9:41am

I see a lot of you other ladies are planning on going all natural. I have the same plan, but I'm a little worried about my pain tolerance. So far my strategy is to use the birthing tub, the birth ball, and get creative with positions.

My midwife also told me that right now my baby is the in optimal position to go posterior. Which means back labor! And I'm not sure how I'm going to make it through that all natural. So I'm doing pelvic tilts and trying to always lie on my left side, so hopefully he'll get in the right position.

As for the perineal oil, I think you can use olive oil if you wanted. I bought a "specialty" oil from Weleda, just because, but I don't think it's necessary. I just plan on massaging every evening when I'm putting oil on my stretch marks anyway.

I'm also doing delayed cord clamping. My midwife also said that it can help prevent jaundice in the baby as well.

I'm hoping to breastfeed as well. I plan on trying as soon as they place the baby on my chest. The plan is to breastfeed for one year, and to exclusively breastfeed until 6 months. But we'll see how that goes. Can't really plan too much ahead.

User Image

User Image

wassernixe

Reply by NewBeginnings79 » Jul. 7, 2012 9:51pm

I know I am going to probably sound crazy, but I am actually looking forward to experiencing labor and giving birth. I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune once I'm in the throes of painful contractions - and I actually have a pretty low tolerance for pain - but I'm really looking forward to facing the challenge, and of course, the reward at the end. Anyone else feeling the same way? I think it's part of the whole, first-time-mom "ignorance is bliss" syndrome. Ha!

@inlove - I'm curious to know your take on this? Did you have more apprehension going into labor your first time around, or in your subsequent pregnancies when you knew what you were in for?

Early this morning, I experienced more BH contractions. I had a hard time falling asleep, waiting to see if they'd turn into any organized "real" pattern, but nothing. As excited as I am, I was glad it wasn't time to go yet... still want to get that darn nursery done, and of course keep this little one baking into she's truly, truly ready to be here.

NewBeginnings79

Reply by inlove » Jul. 8, 2012 2:24pm

Good morning ladies!

@prinny - some ideas for you hospital bag; besides the standard list of your personal needs.. We are bringing a tennis ball for DH to use to massage my back so his hands don't wear out, snacks and water for DH because you won't want him to have to wander out of the room, a picture or something meaningful to you to use as a focal point. If I think of anything else I'll get back to you

@newbeginnings - I think with my first I went into labour completely in ignorant bliss! With each one after that I was a little more apprehensive! What have I learned?? Each and every labour is completely different!!! You can't prepare yourself for every little thing. You have to keep an open mind and focus on what is happening at that moment.

AFM: 36w today! we just got the crib and decorating done..started my packing but not quite finished. I still have to type up my birth plan and wash all her clothes! Seems that I'm going to be busy this week! Lol. Baby shower is next Saturday

inlove

Reply by NewBeginnings79 » Jul. 10, 2012 1:39pm

Woohoo! 37 weeks today... i am officially full-term! I definitely have moments when I feel like I could go at any time, but then a lot of the time I actually feel quite good, and wonder if that's a sign that I'll still be preggers long after my due date. I'm just getting more and more excited to meet this little girl, so it's tough to be patient.

Here's how I've been feeling lately:
- Dull, radiating lower back pain pretty consistently, but no serious pain
- Occassional cramps that feel like my period, they come and go, but usually last for 30min- 1hr
- More frequent BMs and overall gassy feeling for the past 3 days
- Occasional waves of nausea
- Twice in the past week I've had BH contractions that seem regular - about 10 mins apart - but both times stopped after about an hour or so.
- Extremely tired! Like, can't get my butt up off the couch tired, and that's so not like me. This morning I had a burst of energy, so from about 7am to 9am I went on a cleaning frenzy...I'd like to think that this was me "nesting" and a sign the labor is right around the corner, but I tend to be a neat freak anyway. I think I just needed to not feel lazy for a bit :)

How's everyone else doing??

NewBeginnings79

Reply by sageviolet » Jul. 10, 2012 3:33pm

NewBeginnings, congrats on making it to full term!!! So exciting!!! Thanks for sharing your symptoms.

I think I've only had 1 BH so far, and it was over a week ago. Also, the past 2 nights I've slept REALLY deep. I didn't even get up to pee the night before last! And I wouldn't have last night except dh woke me up and I forced myself to get up and do it. I'm still taking naps during the day, so I don't know why this is happening. I have a hard time getting comfortable enough to fall asleep, but then I'm so out!

Baby has lots of very active times, so I guess it's ok. I think it's still head down. I started doing the daily perianal massages every night (is that what's making me sleep so deeply?). I'm using coconut oil. It's weird because everything is so puffy down there, lol. I'm also continuing the daily pelvic tilt exercises. I talked to a friend who is mother of 9 last weekend and she emphasized the importance of doing lots of squatting in daily activities.

I am planning on an all natural homebirth and exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months, then continuing with foods for over a year. We're also doing delayed vaccinations, so we want to keep bfing for a long time. The oral vitamin K drops arrived yesterday!

User Image

User Image

sageviolet