Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Sept 2012 babies- the after

Category: Trimesters - Postpartum Discussion
Posted by AuburnMama » Sep. 10, 2012 10:39pm

Thought I'd start a postpartum group for our sept 2012 babies! A place to ask questions, discuss what's going on or just a place to vent!

AuburnMama

Replies (82)

Reply by knicole27 » Sep. 10, 2012 11:49pm

yay for sept babies!! even though liam was an august baby.. ;)

Liam is 5 weeks actual age but after my due date here this friday he will also go by an adjusted age so for example when he is 7 weeks his adjusted will be 1 week. Its all kind of confusing but thats the life of a preemie. he is weighing over 6 lbs now but still on oxygen. I hope that after his due date they will take him off because this crap is a pain in the ass. lol. Lugging around this huge oxygen tank like we are going to go diving.

We are dealing with a new thing this week: colic. It sucks!

my friend sent me a great link about baby development etc
http://m.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/baby-stages-of-development/the-wonder-weeks-20120426-1xni4.html

so.. i am hoping like it says that next week will be a "sunny week" for us.

cant wait for the other mama's to join and hear about all the beautiful babies! :)

knicole27

Reply by AuburnMama » Sep. 11, 2012 9:58pm

Colic, yuck! Hope it passes soon! And you can ditch the o2 tank! Ive heard about gripe water, sucks if it's not working though.

AFM: had our first peds appt yesterday...when we left the hospital Friday, Andon was 6lb 15oz. They put him on the scale and he's 7lb9oz!! Only 1 oz off his birthweight ! The nurse was like wow, it normally takes BF babies 2 weeks to get to bw!

He's a champ feeder though! Very hungry today, whipped out the pump to start a stockpile for daddy feedings ;). He's been very awake / aware today. In laws came down and I think that kept him up.

Felt a little down today, just like I wanted to cry at anything. My cat is also sick so that makes me sad as well. But DH is off to get dinner and wine so I'm already feeling better!

AuburnMama

Reply by Leniana » Sep. 14, 2012 7:13pm

Hey guys :) Nice to be on the other side finally hehe.

Nicole - Sorry about the colic :( I hope it passes soon! I"ll also keep my fingers crossed for Liam to be off his oxygen soon!

Also thanks for the link, I will definitely be checking that out when I get more time :)

Auburn - Wow, nice job on the weight gain, your BFing is going great!

AFM - my BFing has been a little slower to go well than with my first. Wyatt had some difficulties latching at first, and my milk was slower to come in. We had his first dr appointment yesterday and he was at 8 lbs 12 oz. They said that was normal but still worries me.

We ended up giving Wyatt some supplemental formula because he was just so hungry! He wanted to stay on the breast all the time, and you could tell he just wasn't getting enough. He was either too tired to suck and would go to sleep right away after latching or too hungry and frustrated to latch at all. The formula let him relax enough to latch and gave him enough energy to stay awake and spend enough time on the breast to finally bring my milk in. Yesterday he only had a couple of ounces of formula in the evening and that was after nursing only all day, so I think we are almost over the hurdle.

I've been pretty emotional as well, but hubby has been very supportive and also has been letting me nap as much as possible, which really helped. He's been great with Wyatt and they are super adorable together, they have little "conversations;" Wyatt will coo and Dad will talk to him like he said something, and then Wyatt will coo back, it's just awwww.

We haven't been letting anyone come visit this week and I think that's been great for us. It let us get into our own routine. Tomorrow is my MILs birthday so we will go visit at her house for a couple of hours and then we will open the doors for everyone.

It's a BOY! Wyatt Randolph was born 9/8/2012! 9 lbs 10 oz, 21 1/4 inches

Leniana

Reply by Coomy08 » Sep. 20, 2012 1:06am

Finally made it here. Zane Daniel was born September 19 @ 7:33am
7lbs 13oz 20 1/2 inches long. We are. Both doing great

Coomy08

Reply by AuburnMama » Sep. 20, 2012 1:52am

Congrats coomy! Glad to hear all went well! How are you feeling?

We're still doing good. Andons button stub is about to fall off, thank god! He's staying awake a good part of the day, which means he's sleeping good at night. He had been sleeping in our bed, just easier to get to him faster or feed due to the csection. He also didn't like his crib, but I figured out why- during the day he sleeps in the main part of the house with all the noise, at night his room is very very quiet, so I bought a sound machine and not a peep!

Hope everyone is doing well!

AuburnMama

Reply by Coomy08 » Sep. 22, 2012 1:00am

Zane and I got to come home today.

I went in the 19th at 5am to get checked in and prepped for the c-section...didn't start out the greatest...first the computer in the room wouldn't work then the laptop wouldn't work so they had to do my info at the nurses station computer, then I had to be cathed twice because they used a latex one the first time and I didn't know till it felt like my nether regions were burning(I'm latex sensitive) before they cathed me they asked if I was allergic to shell fish or had problems with iodine you would have thought latex allergies would have been asked about..I guess I should have thought to say something before hand but my mind was other places. Then after I got my epidural my b/p dropped a tad bit and it made me nauseous (threw up just a lil bit) and then baby boy didn't want to come out(I could feel all the jerking and pressing, not very comfortable!) Finally at 7:33am Zane Daniel decided to cooperate and come out and made his grand appearance special by peeing everywhere :). He was 7 lbs 13 oz and 20 1/2 inches long and a good set of lungs on him lol.
Was up an walking by myself yesterday after my cath and iv's were taken out. Zane was circumcised today(was supposed to be done yesterday but the doctor had something come up) he threw up a lot after the procedure so we had to stay a little bit extra so they could make sure he was able to hold down his next feeding been doing great since.
I'm a bit sore today, must have done too much when I got home because there is more bruising around my incision than there was when I left the hospital and the area's a bit swollen so my husband took my 3 yr old out to play and told me to go lay down for a bit and take a nap. Swelling went down a little bit so hopefully by morning it'll be better.
Breastfeeding started out good in the recovery room then yesterday it seemed like he didn't want to latch on and when he did he would fall asleep or else he just didn't want to wake up. Today he's doing a lot better and wouldn't even know we had a bad day. Think my milk is on it's way because when I went to bed last night it looked like I had a minor boob job and come this morning it was like bam look at those suckers and of course you know my husband had to point it out to me(like I hadn't already noticed).
Posted some pictures.

Auburn- Glad Andon is doing good with his nights and days! Can't wait for Zane's stub to fall off, my 3 yr old keeps asking what is on baby brothers belly button and if he has a boo boo lol.

Coomy08

Reply by knicole27 » Sep. 25, 2012 4:23am

my gosh ladies i have been trying to reply here now all week. Every time i think i can .. lil man is demanding my attention in some way. I know you all know what i mean. ;)

Leniana- we have also been dealing with "cluster feeding" where for about 3-4 hrs of the day usually the evenings, Liam wants to nurse non stop and then he gets frustrated at the fact that my supply is slower and lower in the evenings sooo he often cries at my boobs and tugs his had back nearly sucking my nipple off and grabbing fistfuls of my boobs in his hands and it hurts especially with those lil baby nails!!

Coomy and auburn- how are you and your lil ones doing?

as for us- Liam is still on the oxygen, still having too many desaturations in his blood oxygen levels without it. This altitude has been rough on his lil lungs. Poor guy. Because of this and the fact he is a preemie means that i cant travel back home for the holidays so.. we will be here in CO. I am hoping at least someone can make it out for christmas so we are not totally alone but .. who knows.

Liam slept 5 hrs last night straight! omg.. i was so excited about that. I was supplementing him on formula but for the past week or so i have only been strictly breastfeeding because.. honestly.. i get more sleep that way. I dont have to get up and prep any bottles.. i just grab him and plop him on my boob and ta da.

The colic has gotten better but.. he is still fussy. I swear i am the only one with a baby that hates car rides and his swing. Really he hates his car seat and hates being restrained in it because he likes to bunch his legs up and he cant do that while belted in the car seat and then he gets pissed.

What are you ladies doing for birth control now?? My hubby is not going to be home till march so i have time to think about it but.. idk yet.

Hope all you are doing well and your babies are growing and healthy! :)

knicole27

Reply by Leniana » Sep. 25, 2012 4:59pm

Congrats Coomy!! He is a doll :) Glad the c section went ok, even if it had some hiccups!

Nicole - Yeah Wyatt wants to do that too (cluster feeding) sometimes, I think it might be related to having a growth spurt, because he seems to get bigger after a day or two of it and then he settles again for a couple days. Or maybe he's just trying to increase my milk supply. Either way it is super annoying, some days I just don't have the time to nurse for hours on end, we have to leave the house occasionally lol!

Finally starting to get into a routine here. It has been tougher this time than with my first. Wyatt is still having some problems with latching, usually because he gets frustrated when the milk doesn't come instantly and his latch is still not that good. Nipple shields have been a god send, I just ordered a couple more on amazon cause i keep misplacing the one the lactation consultant gave me.

He's also having green poops for almost a week, and he popped up with a rash on his face a couple days ago. I am wondering if he has a food sensitivity (though I can't honestly think what new thing I might have eaten). We have a doctor's appointment today so I will be asking about it.

I got out Sunday to the park with Wyatt and Gabe and walked around some... went about a mile very slowly with lots of breaks... definitely going to have to keep taking it slow cause my bottom was sore afterwards! I was just glad to be out in the nice weather though, I was tired of being in the house!

For birth control - Hubby said I can try the IUD again on the condition that I go back and get it fixed if it starts poking him again, so I am happy :) I need to call and find out when they would put it in for me, probably they would need to wait til my six week appointment. I want to get it done asap cause hubby has taken an interest in me again lol. I guess he was not one of those guys who finds the pregnant bellies sexy.

Leniana

Reply by AuburnMama » Sep. 25, 2012 6:21pm

Knicole, good to see you! I was wondering how you were! Hate that the altitude is keeping little man down!

Our schedule is pretty good, he gets up at night between 12-1, the again 3-4, then finally about 6-7. Sometimes we go back to bed til 9 or sometimes he just wants to be awake, looking around. He cluster feeds early in the day, then gets on a 2-3 hr schedule.

We took him to get weighed Friday and he was 9lbs!!! Little chunk! He's holding his head up and loving tummy time. Can't believe how fast he's already growing!

We had to get mylicon drops, he got gassy/fussy horribly Saturday and Sunday, so DH brought me the drops...OMG they are magic! We also introduced the paci, since his comforting is my boob, and mommy can't always whip that out!

I'm doing the copper IUD. I'm scheduled to get it at my 6 week checkup on Oct.12. No hanky pinky til then, which is kinda a downer cause since I had the section, all systems are still go down there, so I'm looking forward to the checkup!!!

AuburnMama

Reply by knicole27 » Sep. 25, 2012 9:37pm

omgosh been trying to reply again all day. ha.. he falls asleep on me while nursing then the MINUTE i set him down hes awake again so i had to wait till 2pm to get my shower in and hes sleeping now so.. hopefully ill have time to reply here. lol.

Auburn- glad hes doing well and growing great! I too finally got some of those gas drops they work really well. Liam too is now using my boob as a paci .. and no long likes his paci's... nor does he like bottles anymore either. I thought for sure I'd have a hard time breast feeding since all he knew was the bottle in the nicu but.. no. Now he wont go back to the bottle or rubber nipples so.. my nipples are like.. yikes sore. Breast feeding does not hurt but dang when you have something constantly sucking on that sensitive skin. sheesh.

Leniana- when Liam was in the nicu he had some green poops, they were dark green. I figured it was from the iron they were giving him. Have you given him any kind of a vitamin supplementation or anything like that?? if not another thing it *can* indicate but not necessarily is, a imbalance of hind milk. The hind milk is the fattier milk that comes at the end of a feeding usually but it also would make baby very gassy and fussy. If your really concerned about it you can have a lactation consultant test your milk. And yes my nipples are.. ouchy from this cluster feeding. Today in fact he has been nursing constantly.

AFM- my 6 week postpartum appt is this thursday. I was actually 6 weeks postpartum last week but thats the soonest i could get in. I am thinking of asking about the IUD. I really dont want to be on the pill again i had a ton of health problems on it and felt amazing once i was off of it.

We just thankfully made it past the 6 week growth spurt. He was extra hungry and extra fussy .. and it felt like the longest week of my life! I do find that if he does cluster feed for 3 hrs from 8-11pm he sleeps so much better through the night because yesterday was a busy day for us, we went to the pediatricians and then to the grocery store so for the first time in a week he did not cluster feed last night and fell asleep early.. meaning that he woke up hungry every two hrs which was sad after the other night he slept 5 hrs straight! oh well. I had been complaining about the cluster feeding but maybe i need to rethink that ;)

knicole27

Reply by knicole27 » Sep. 25, 2012 9:40pm

ok.. i meant to say to leniana the LACK of hind milk can make the baby gassy and fussy... i would go back and edit but.. lil man is stirring and this seemed faster idk. lol.

knicole27

Reply by knicole27 » Sep. 26, 2012 2:37am

I've seriously come to dread this time of the night between 8 pm and 11pm I can't even barely get up to pee without the lil man attached to my boob and because its night time my flow slows way down so he gets pissed and tugs hard on my nipples and takes big fistfuls of my breasts and is all kinds of fussy...ughhh...

knicole27

Reply by Coomy08 » Sep. 26, 2012 3:55pm

It had def been a challenge to try and write on the threads these days with Zane on the boob and Tucker trying to climb all over me and get my attention every 5 seconds! Tucker is doing better than I thought he would adjusting to not being the baby any more, we've had a few crying spells and his listening skills have turned into he'll listen if he feels like it. He hit the baby hard with a balloon once and has said a couple mean things about the baby but I know that's to be expected at one point in the adjusting process, just a bit frustrating at times though. With my husband at work from 5am-3:30pm and then when he gets home he either takes a nap or has to go work on something around the house. Just a bit lonely and it sucks...

Zane is 1 wk old today, seems like the past week went by so fast. We go tomorrow for his 1 week check up, with how much he's been eating I'd be surprised if he hasn't gained 5 lbs!
I had my check up Monday to look at my incision and was told my steri-strips have to stay on till I go back next week. I'm still really bruised, it looks like someone kicked me as hard as they could in the privates! On a happy note I actually liked looking at the scale when they weighed me: was down 7lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight :), hopefully I'll be one of those people that lose weight while BF.
Really hoping Zane gets into some kind of a routine here soon. Saturday night he didn't let me go to sleep till 1am and then I was up every 1�½-2 hrs until finally after his 7am feeding he slept for 4 hrs straight. Sunday wasn't too bad, but Monday night was awful and by far the worse we've had so far: it was about 3am when he finally let me go to sleep and then by time I actually get to sleep the alarm goes off for my husband to wake up for work which instead of waking my husband up wakes up the baby and long story short I think I only ended up getting about 3 hrs of sleep.
He does great during the day, but at night he gets fussy and nothing seems to make him happy except the boob.
It's starting to get better now, but from day one every time he'd eat he'd then fart and poop right after he was done seriously as soon as he delatched it would happen! I'm changing around 5-6 poopy diapers a day at the moment. He's a bit jaundiced so maybe it's his bodies way of getting the toxins and crap out of his system idk.

Knicole- Glad the colics starting to get better. Sorry about the oxygen, hopefully it'll get better soon.

Birth control wise we're just going back to condoms, and then at some point my husband is going to go get fixed. We decided 2 kids are enough for us. I was really surprised my husband didn't complain when I suggested him getting fixed, he was actually very cooperative about it!
Leniana- Thank ya :) I'm jealous you got to go take a walk, It's been cold and rainy here in good ole Indian so I
ve been stuck in the house every day since we came home from the hospital except for the couple hours I got out of the house Monday for my appointment. Really starting to get excited about going back to work in 2 weeks lol.

Coomy08

Reply by AuburnMama » Sep. 29, 2012 8:13pm

Coomy: you'll get a routine...that first week home is rough, but you'll learn his times. We pretty much know what times well wake up in the night now, and for some reason if he doesn't wake up, we still do!!!

Poo- yes bring on the poo! Usually Andon poos right after we change a diaper or after feeding. We don't really have to watch out for pee when we change him, but dude will squirt out a poo like a poo ninja! Lol we prob have about 5 poo diapers a day.

To give my boobs a break, we whipped out the paci. It helps when he just wants to be comforted. Apparently boobs are magical and comforting and the paci is the next best thing so I can do important stuff like go to the bathroom!! Lol

AFM- time flies...little man is a month old on Tuesday!!! I look at him and see how much he's grown already! He's holding his head up well and loves tummy time. Last night he only got up once...I'm sure I'll pay for that tonight! We also officially moved up to size 1 diapers, we had about 15 NB size left that I'm going to give to a girl at church.

AuburnMama

Reply by dsdaye » Oct. 4, 2012 3:06pm

Hello,

Jack is now 11 days old and he takes up so much of my time that this is the first I get to come on here.

My emotions have been extremely rocky. I cry every time my DH leaves for work and I feel really bad because it makes him sad and there is nothing he can do about it. My mom has been coming by everyday to help and that has certainly helped my moods.

Jack is doing the cluster feeding too. From about 8:00pm until 11:00 he just wants to eat. It gets really long since that is when I try to get a little sleep, take a bath or showerr. My DH works long days (7am-6pm) so that is when he wants to hold and take care of Jack, but all Jack wants is me so he can feed. I started using my breast pump this morning and hope that he will take the milk from a bottle tonight. Then my DH can feed him, someting that I know he has been really looking forward to doing.

His poor skin is also in really bad shape. It is peeling like crazy. I know that this is normal, but it is peeling all over his face and near his eyes and I can't do anything about it.

I was also wondering if any of you have put your kids on a schedule to try and get their sleep patterns better at night?

Also, recovery wise. For those of you who gave birth vaginally, how do you feel? I was feeling pretty good, but now the pain has come back (not as bad as it was) and the bleeding has gotten a little worse again. I have an appointment wiht my midwife on Tuesday and will talk to her about it all then but I just wanted to know if any of you have gone through this too?

dsdaye

Reply by Leniana » Oct. 4, 2012 10:06pm

Hey ladies.. so my little guy is still not gaining weight:/ He gained only two ounces at his weight check. Doctor wants us to supplement with bottles so I am trying to up my pumping so we can give him more whenever he seems like he is still hungry after both boobs. When I pump I usually get 4-5 ounces so I know I am producing, but I am sure his latch is not 100%. I seem to have lost the lactation consultant's card so I dunno what to do at this point. He is making plenty of diapers so he is getting something, just not enough to gain.

He is also still falling asleep nursing so I have been breaking the latch on him and burping him whenever he slows down to keep him eating longer. Hopefully that will help, he seems to be eating more and a bit faster so fingers crossed.

The green poop has been coming and going now, but it has gone back to tan mostly so either he's not that sensitive to whatever it is or it is that hind milk imbalance thing you were talking about Nicole. Either way since he's back to mostly tan I'm going to assume that's getting better.

He is very active and alert though, he holds up his head all the time and has rolled over from tummy to back a few times.

ds- I felt a lot better after a couple of weeks but I had times where I felt sore and bled more, especially if I had been doing a lot. It really comes and goes. I also had times where the area of my stitches felt really sore and it was tough to sit down, even now at almost a month it feels a little tender at times. I am still bleeding lightly (just need a pantyliner) and I still feel occasional cramping or ligament pain.

Leniana

Reply by tallesss » Oct. 5, 2012 2:29am

Hi Ladies,

Noelle Sade was delivered this morning at 9.36 am 7lbs 14oz and 20.75inches long!

will post pics tomorrow.

User Image

User Image

tallesss

Reply by flowermommy81 » Oct. 6, 2012 9:19pm

Hi ladies! Sorry I have been MIA. I know you all understand with the cluster feedings, fussiness and older siblings. Alyssa is 15 days old now. She was 9 pounds even and had dropped to 8 pounds 4 ounces. At her first appointment Monday, she was 8 pounds 13 ounces and had gained half an inch. She is fussy ALOT, but it's slowly getting a bit better. Her days and nights are mixed too but we are trying to turn that around by keeping her up more during the day. Hopefully it gets better soon. We're trying gripe water since her little belly rumbles quite a bit. I've been pumping more since the cluster feedings got crazy there for awhile. But from what I hear, they actually are a good thing and help the baby sleep better and increase your milk supply. When I pump, I average about 3 ounces. I try not to pump all the time because I still want her to nurse and help my supply increase. I'm hoping it increases soon so I can get a bit ahead. I didn't pump with my first until she was 8 weeks old, so I don't know what normal output is on a pump at 2 weeks. I figure I'm close. She only eats 2-3 ounces at a time now.

Dsdaye -- I too have felt great and then been hit with pain and increased bleeding. I think it's normal. It happens to me if I walk around too much especially. Hope you're feeling better.

Leniana -- It sounds like your milk supply is right on. Maybe it is a hind milk issue and maybe that has something to do with the green diapers. Not sure. Hope he starts gaining more soon.

flowermommy81

Reply by Heather1386 » Oct. 7, 2012 12:04pm

Hey ladies, my daughter was born sept 28 at 6 lbs 8 ozs and 19 1/2 inches long. She is back to her birth weight as of friday. She had dropped to 6lbs 1 oz as of last Monday. I feel fine, but occasionally emotional. This is our first baby, so at times I feel nervous hoping I am being at good mom and if she's ok. I am breastfeeding too. Sometimes she is very crabby and I get nervous she might be colic. Because the only way I can calm her is nursing. Craddling her and things like that don't work for me. They seem to work for my husband, so it can be frustrating at times. But I love my little girl, just hard being at first time mom.

Heather1386

Reply by tyesmommy115 » Oct. 7, 2012 1:17pm

Hey girls hope ya all r doing well and babies as well :), Small update on us . Alyssa was 1 month on the 4th wow how time flies , she now weighs 7 lbs 14.5oz :) from 6 lbs when we left the hospital everything is going super well including the breastfeeding. However the cluster feeding isn't so lovely for 2 hours. My other two kids just love their little sister more than anything :).. Just a question any of ya breastfeeding moms have a very pukey baby. My daughter throws up like huge amounts doctors aren't concerned as she's gainning weight..

tyesmommy115