Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

positive HPT's but negative test at doctors :(

Category: General - Newly Pregnant
Posted by MrsSteele » Dec. 3, 2012 9:57pm

I am 3 weeks and 3 days pregnant, or so I think I am anyway. I have taken 1 HPT on November the 30th 2012 and 2 OPK's, one on December 1st, 2012 and the last on Dec 2nd. The HPT was positive but very faint and the 2 OPK's were positive as well as the lines were twice as dark as the control lines. I am also having a lot of symptoms like breast tenderness,crazy mood swings, headaches, cramping, bloating, nausea the list goes on. I went to my Doctor on December 3rd and my urine test was negative so my Doctor wouldn't give me another referral to my OBGYN. I was so upset I just burst into tears (which I normally would not have done) and literally ran out of the office and when I got home I went to bed immediately and slept off the bad mood.
I was certain I was pregnant and now I am so scared that I am not. This would be my 3rd pregnancy, my first two resulted in miscarriages. I feel too scared to do HPT again now until my expected period day which is December 9th. Any feedback or similar experiences from other members will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for hearing me out everyone :)

MrsSteele

Replies (4)

Reply by ShoeShine » Dec. 7, 2012 4:35pm

I am no expert but I had a similar experience recently. I am just 6 weeks pregnant and we had been trying for a long time with no success. I had booked to see my GP to enquire about looking into this but the night before my appt I took a HPT on the off chance and it had a VERY faint positive! The next morning before my appt I took another and had another very faint positive. My GP gave me a urine test that morning but it was negative so I thought it was all a mix up. BUT my GP said that false positives are very rare and to take another test 48 hours later to give time for more HcG to appear in my urine.
I have since taken 6 more tests and they have all been gradually stronger positives. I called my GP and she said she thought this would be the case and has confirmed my pregnancy. My first HPT was taken on the day my period was due so it was very early when results can be inconsistent.
I now have no doubt that I am pregnant but desperate to see my Midwife and get the ball rolling!
I hope this helps to rest your mind and that you get the result you wish for. XXX

ShoeShine

Reply by yashinfan » May. 24, 2013 2:32am

Just had the same thing happen to me today! I got my BFP on 11DPO and called my dr as I was leaving the country for 2 weeks. They asked me to come in and give a urine sample, and scheduled an appointment for me today - 6 weeks pregnant. Well, while I was gone they got the results back and they were NEGATIVE! Doctor won't see me until I get blood Hcg results back. I'm so annoyed, I've got 5 BFPs now!

User Image

yashinfan

Reply by TartanLass » May. 24, 2013 8:15am

Hi that's a shame that doctor won't see you until after blood test. I live in Scotland and our system is different. My doctor took my word for being pregnant. Didn't have to supply a urine or blood sample just prescribed me folic acid. I'm 8 weeks gone and have my first midwife appointment on Tuesday where they take a urine sample and first set of blood tests. I've been sick as a dog and telling him that along with the fact I took two home digital tests was enough. I'm sure your period will also be late I don't understand why a doctor won't take a home test as enough, the fact your period is late and I'm sure you will be having pregnancy symptoms. Hope you get everything sorted out!

TartanLass

Reply by yashinfan » May. 25, 2013 2:44pm

My HCG came back at over 39,000! I wanted to yell at the nurse - "TAKE THAT!" So I am squarely in the six weeks pregnant range :)

yashinfan