Pregnancy Discussion Forum

Recent Forum Activity
Forum Categories
Start a New Topic Hide Signatures

Is intrauterine insemination fine with infertility treatment

Category: Special - Pregnancy Complications & Testing
Posted by gradele » Aug. 21, 2017 7:40am

Is intrauterine insemination fine with infertility treatment? In this process, sperm is washed and prepared for placement into the uterine cavity. The cervix is bypassed and the concentration of motile sperm is brought higher. This is done closer to tubes and the ovulated egg. The semen is washed with a solution safe to sperms and eggs. They are centrifuged to separate motile sperm from immotile sperms. The motile and viable sperms are placed in a small amount of solution. They are then injected gently into the uterine cavity. In this process, a thin, soft and flexible catheter is used. Only one tube is required for this process. The sperm abnormality cannot be severe otherwise the sperms would not be able to swim and fertilize eggs. I underwent all these processes till the end. I was able to give birth to a baby girl. What surprises me now is that after all that I can’t conceive again. I am wondering whether to go through the same process. Should I now go for IVF? I am desperately in need of a second baby.

gradele

Replies (8)

Reply by enginee » Aug. 22, 2017 8:27am

Hi Gradele. Intrauterine insemination is very fine treatment for infertility. But if you need a cost-effective method and precise treatment I would ask you to go for IVF. In most cases, artificial insemination is regarded and perceived to be a less invasive and affordable fertility treatment compared to IVF or surrogacy. It is done using the IUI procedure by placing washed sperm through a fine catheter inside a woman’s uterus. IUI is preferred to increase the quantity of sperm that reach the fallopian tubes. This increases the chances of fertilization in the oviduct. It is very ideal during unexplained infertility, cervical condition issues such as thick cervical mucus, cervical scar tissue and ejaculation dysfunction. The process is fast and I can vouch for it.

enginee

Reply by kamtoy » Sep. 25, 2017 11:34am

I think it is very fine. For me, I am very aware of the intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection. It is commonly referred to as ICSI. It is a well-established microinjection technique which has often been used by people with fertility issues. I am aware of its treatment using clomiphene, antioxidants and coenzyme. It is usually done with an injection of single selected sperm. It is done directly into the cytoplasm. All the steps are bypasses through sperm binding. All this is usually done using a mature egg. It overcomes many barriers of fertilization. These barriers may include failed fertilization from repeated use of conventional IVF. In some cases, it is done to those men with a low sperm count and poor sperm morphology. Remember some male sperms are abnormal and have very low motility. Most couples have used this method and it has helped them a great deal. Just in case of any male infertility I vouch for it. Hope there might be anyone else with another idea.

kamtoy

Reply by kkim95 » Sep. 25, 2017 12:09pm

It is a very good thing to undergo. But all the same IVF could be a very good to go. I understand that IUI is a very simpler way of doing it. The sperms are placed in the woman’s womb. Through the plastic tube that is passed through the cervix it is worthwhile. The male sperms are passed through the tube. It is also not a very complicated procedure. When done, it is done in coincidence with the ovulation. More so at the period halfway through a monthly cycle. To maximize the chances, fertility drugs are also administered. For it to be successful, the fallopian tubes need to be very healthy. This would enable the egg to travel form the ovary into the womb at ease. When successful, fertilization would take place successfully. If all the attempts fail, it would be prudent to go for IVF. surrogacy is also another method I can’t assume. Hope all goes well.

kkim95

Reply by sawmwr » Sep. 25, 2017 12:13pm

It is a quite worthwhile procedure though needs a lot of caution. If you would think of surrogacy the better. There are some needs that needs to be considered. The sperm used can be either from the male partner, or from a donor: The male partner's sperm can be used when the cause of the infertility is unexplained and the sperm test results are normal. It may also be useful for cases where the female cervical mucus seems to block or kill the sperm. Sperm is obtained by the male partner masturbating just prior to the IUI procedure. Donor sperm are obtained from a sperm bank of frozen sperm provided by donors. It may be considered as an option in many circumstances - for example: Where the male partner has no or very few sperm, or the sperm are not normal; Where the male partner has had a sterilization but reversal has failed; Where the male partner has an infectious disease such as HIV; Where there is a high risk of transmitting a genetic disorder-a disease that is caused by an abnormality in either partner's DNA-to a baby. If it does not work at all, it would be prudent for a lady to revert to IVF.

sawmwr

Reply by mishyb » Sep. 25, 2017 12:25pm

IVF sounds a good thing for you. Unlike IUI, a glass or a test tube is used. More often, it is used by ladies who have blocked fallopian tubes. What is very encouraging is the fact that the blockage can be dealt with. Besides, it is also used where the infertility is unexplained. When there are some problems with ovulation, a lady may be subjected to it. In some cases where the lady has combination of factors, it would be prudent to seek it. The ovaries are stimulated first. At this point, they tend to ovulate more. It is now they are harvested. Each egg is mixed with a sperm. A male may be forced to masturbate to get these sperms. If it becomes a complicated thing, sperms are gotten from the donor. The two samples are mixed in a laboratory dish. The main objective is to fertilize the eggs to form an embryo. For me I would advise you to go for the same. I wish you well dear.

mishyb

Reply by kimgey » Sep. 25, 2017 12:37pm

Nothing that is finer like going through a very thorough process. IUI is a very nice thing to think about. But after all, IVF is more advantageous. I have seen many ladies go through that process and they have emerged victorious. It also depends on where you do it from. Some clinics charge so high and others so cheap. Ukrainian clinics are very effective especially as far as cost is concerned. What I am certain if you go through these clinics you will never regret. But after all, you can try gamete intrafallopian transfer. Eggs and sperms are also collected the same way as the IVF. The eggs are also mixed with sperm. After this, they are placed in the fallopian tubes. In this process, fertilization happens in the fallopian tubes. For IVF it is external. It is done in a laboratory dish. It is not recommended these days like the IVF.

kimgey

Reply by wangu892 » Sep. 25, 2017 12:49pm

It is good to think about IVF but for me, I would propose intracytoplasmic sperm injection. An individual sperm is injected into an egg. This is done in the cytoplasm. It bypasses many barriers. These barriers are very dangerous in preventing fertilization. In some infertility, the sperm find it hard to enter the cytoplasm. This inhibits fertilization. ICSI can be used when the sperm low count is low. In this process, only one sperm is used. If a sperm is needed, a small operation is done. This is through testicles operation. It is preferred when sperms can’t be obtained in the natural way. This happens if the vas deferens is blocked. Or more so if the man has undergone a vasectomy. The egg and the sperm are placed in the womb the same way as the IVF. If IVF fails, ICSI is a very preferable method.

wangu892

Reply by wenmag71 » Sep. 25, 2017 1:01pm

Egg donation can also be good. The ovaries of the female donor are stimulated. This is done through fertility medicines. The eggs which form are then collected. The sperms are also collected and mixed with these eggs. They are done so to enhance fertilization to take place. After a few days, they are placed in the recipient’s cervix. The method is preferred since; For women who have ovarian failure and cannot produce eggs; For women who have had their ovaries removed; For women who have conditions where the ovaries do not work; Where there is a high risk of transmitting a genetic disorder to the baby; In some cases of IVF failure. This is a very good procedure though optional. All in all, I would advise you to go for the easy way out. I hope this will help you a great deal in achievement of the fertility treatment.

wenmag71